How can I remove the smell of tobacco from headphones?
Sep 8, 2021 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

firesign

Headphoneus Supremus
It's possible?
Is there a way to remove the odor, both from the structure, as well as from the pads and the headband?

Sep 8, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 5
I once head to try to remove the smell of smoke from some beats pros headphones I bought for a friend. It was a long process that took several days, and I still never fully got rid of the smell.

Most of the smell gets soaked into the pads and headband, so best possible solution would be to completely replace the pads. Over the course of those several days where I tried to remove the smell, I tried everything from soaking in detergent, oxiclean, baking soda. The thing that worked better than everything else was letting it bake in the sun for extended hours on end. The sun's UV does a decent job at breaking down the smell, but I still never fully got rid of it.

Sep 8, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 5
I once head to try to remove the smell of smoke from some beats pros headphones I bought for a friend. It was a long process that took several days, and I still never fully got rid of the smell.

Most of the smell gets soaked into the pads and headband, so best possible solution would be to completely replace the pads. Over the course of those several days where I tried to remove the smell, I tried everything from soaking in detergent, oxiclean, baking soda. The thing that worked better than everything else was letting it bake in the sun for extended hours on end. The sun's UV does a decent job at breaking down the smell, but I still never fully got rid of it.
Luckily I have a couple of spare ear pads, but not for the headband, of course.
But the smell is even in the metal structure of the earphone ... It should be easier to remove it there, right?

I have been recommended to apply a solution of water and ammonia, but I do not know if it will damage the material.

Sep 8, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 5
I would try a mixture of unscented dish soap and white vinegar. Soak the earpads in it if they are foam or cloth. If they are grados you can boil the pads in vinegar and water. If leather or pleather just wipe them down like everything else. Careful to not get the drivers wet.

Sep 8, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 5
I bought a cable from a head-fier that reeked with smoke. I had to keep it in a plastic bag it smelled so bad. I soaked it in rubbing alcohol, left it in the sun….nothing helped. I ended up tossing it. Waste of $100. Never will I buy anything from that guy again. I cringe whenever I see him list stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back