How can I make mono in to stereo?
Nov 30, 2004 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mr.PD

Lives to Take It Outside.
The title of this thread is a bit misleading.
I have a friend that recorded his old mono taped music onto CDs and they all came out with sound from just the right side. Not too bad with speakers but it'll give ya a headache with headphones. We are trying to figure out how to split the mono or double the mono into two channels. I'm thinking that he may have to re-record from the tapes with a different setting on the computer. I am hoping for an easier way.

Is there a way to take a right channel only CD and make WAV files that will have sound from both channels? I know it won't be "stereo".

Nov 30, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 9
there is also a hardware implementations of mono-to- stereo also known as "mono-to-stereo sythesizers" which are frequency selective blending networks with some phasing anomolies to make the sound diffuse between ch-A and ch-B.

Couple of coils,resistors,caps....

Nov 30, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 9
It obviously won't fix the recording, but some receivers have a "mono" setting just for that reason.

G

Nov 30, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 9
I personally don't much care for the simple mono buttons and prefer more control over the signal.If you have only one input and you "mono" it you are only adding a signal together with an unterminated input which can inject noise.

better to use a stereo mode control which selects between -

L only to both outputs/R only to both outputs/L+R full Mono/Stereo/Reverse Stereo

this allows for total control over the signal without any bad effects plus is a great tool for system testing and injecting a noise signal for set-up.

Nov 30, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 9
oh yeah,a simple "Y" cable will also work AND terminate both inputs to the line stage
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the replies.
When my friend gets back from his trip, I'll see if he still has the original tapes, and suggest he try recording them to CD again, properly. I think some of the tapes were borrowed, or he didn't do the actual copying. I can't remember how that worked.
I have Cooledit in my other computer, I will check it out. Thanks for the link to blazeaudio. That place sparked some ideas in my head.

Rick, you're losing me man! I can't figure what direction you are coming in from.
tongue.gif

If they were my CDs, they wouldn't have gotten to be so one sided to begin with. I'm trying to help a guy that is worse with computers than I am.
icon10.gif

Nov 30, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Rick, you're losing me man! I can't figure what direction you are coming in from.

i have that effect on people more times than i like to admit !

Anyone who has or has seen an early dynaco pas2 preamp mode control will know where i am coming from.this should be included in ALL line stages.

Left only
Right Only
Left +Right
Stereo
Reverse Stereo
and three levels of Stereo Blend so you can control the L+R blending level from very little to full mono

yup.couldn't live without mine man.Ricky likes his toys and what he can't purchase he makes .actually even if he can purchase he makes them just because he can !!!!
icon10.gif
cool.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #9 of 9
hi mr pd,
you can do this with cooledit.
- record the tape into cooledit.
- select the entire blank channel (no sound) and delete it
- copy the entire sound channel and past it into the blank channel
now you have an exact copy of the mono tape in the right and left channel. this should center it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back