How can I get sometning like internet radio on a PDA or MP3 player?
Jun 14, 2007 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Brewmaster

100+ Head-Fier
I recently cancelled my Sattelite Radio subscription, but miss the chance to get exposed to new artists.

What I would ideally like is some way to download songs from specific generes to a portable device and play them on the go. Something from a service that updates the music so I get exposed to new music all the time. Almost like internet radio in my car.

Any services out there that offer anything like this?

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 8
an FM radio?

I can't see there being any free services that'd do as you like, as such. pandora is great, but unless you're on an unlimited data plan on your cell phone/cell enabled pda then you're paying per song for the data. a pda with wifi could get stuff, but only near a hotspot..

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
an FM radio?

I can't see there being any free services that'd do as you like, as such. pandora is great, but unless you're on an unlimited data plan on your cell phone/cell enabled pda then you're paying per song for the data. a pda with wifi could get stuff, but only near a hotspot..

At least in Toronto FM just stinks. No variety, and very little playing of artists that don't have hits.

Looks like the options are bleak at this point. Pehaps I'll just have to resubscribe to XM until something better comes along.

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 8
This company Slackr is coming out with a portable with wifi and satellite. It's a combination of internet radio and on-demand radio where they build stations around artist you like. The service is free but you can only skip a channel 6 times but you can then just pick another channel. They are releasing a premium service for $7 a month for unlimited skips.

I like this concept better than satellite because you skip pass what you don't like and tailor the stations to just older stuff or more obscure stuff or around a similar artist or whatever you like and still find artist you've never here before. I hope it works out. I was just using XM to listen to talk radio for the most part.

Here's the link: http://www.slacker.com/

Jun 14, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently cancelled my Sattelite Radio subscription, but miss the chance to get exposed to new artists.

What I would ideally like is some way to download songs from specific generes to a portable device and play them on the go. Something from a service that updates the music so I get exposed to new music all the time. Almost like internet radio in my car.

Any services out there that offer anything like this?

Rhapsody has a service that lets you "rent" tracks for a monthly fee. There's also Emusic which lets you keep the songs you download, their library isn't as big as Rhapsody's though. You have to make sure your mp3 player is compatible with Rhapsody's service but with Emusic you don't.

Rhapsody to go
Emusic

Jun 15, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 8
Slacker looks like a good product if they can bring it to market.

I think I may have found an interim solution. Seems there are a few apps out there that let you record internet radio stations. These apps even tag the tracks.

I figure I'll just record a few stations that have music up my alley and copy them to my PDA or MP3 player and listen on the go.

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #8 of 8
or Pandora if you don't mind marginal sacrifices in sound quality for an active engine that actually works pretty well.

www.pandora.com

EDIT: I totally didn't read the restrictions you have... i'm pretty sure craiglester is right in that pandora won't satisfy your requirements, but it's still a great site worth pitching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back