How can I fix this frayed cable?
Sep 1, 2013 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Ferrari353

New Head-Fier
My earbuds have started fraying and I was wondering what the best thing to do would be.  Would I be able to get a heat-shrink tube on there?  Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:
I thought about that, but I feel like with electrical tape, it usually doesn't stick to itself well in a situation like that (i.e. around a wire).  Am I wrong in this regard?

Maybe, but I have had a really old IEM break on me like that and I put some electrical tape on it. It's still working. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #6 of 20
Or as an alternative you may want to consider getting actual good sounding IEMs to replace your Bose ones. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #9 of 20
(This might be a source of conflict so I rather avoid it) however, he already made an investment and he wants to fix it. I don't see a reason to push someone who never asked for new headphones to buy, change or listen other headphones. His time will come and he will be asking the question on this forum.

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:
(This might be a source of conflict so I rather avoid it) however, he already made an investment and he wants to fix it. I don't see a reason to push someone who never asked for new headphones to buy, change or listen other headphones. His time will come and he will be asking the question on this forum.

Yeah, you're right.
Sorry if it sounded like I was pushing him to buy new stuff. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #14 of 20
Or as an alternative you may want to consider getting actual good sounding IEMs to replace your Bose ones. 

But he probably likes the sound and the headphones still work. Why change a pair you like because of a cosmetic defect?

I bought these before I knew much about IEMs (although I still don't know very much haha) and while I've looked into buying some good IEMs, they're just not high on my list of priorities right now.
It may be moving up in priority though because now it seems like the right ear bud isn't working at all. It's not outputting any sound. Any fix for this?

I bought some electrical tape on Amazon because I can't seem to find any in my house so that should be here Thursday.

OP, How good are your soldering skills, you could just replace the whoule cable.

I've never soldered in my life, although I'd like to learn.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #15 of 20
Or get some etymotic IEMs - they have a kevlar-reinforced cable, I have accidentally jerked them many times, sometimes with more than 20 lb of force, and the cables are still in tight. Had them for over a year now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back