How can I create masses of jitter?
Jan 22, 2010 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

googleborg

100+ Head-Fier
i need to hear it, am wondering if there's a way to make it absolutely crazy? then i could make two recordings (of the same audio) of my dacs audio output, one with absolutely tons of jitter in the digital bits and one with just whatever i have right now - no jitter added - and perhaps compare them somehow to spot any artefacts in the audio frequencies, and if I, or anyone else can hear any differences if i upload them?

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 11
tasty :p

am being serious though, unless you are too...i guess i could use it, it's very salty, should conduct well?

perhaps i could get a small narrow plastic tube, cut it in half, stop the ends and fill it with soy sauce, route the shield of the coax via it's own little wire (if the shield is actually needed?) and conduct the digital signal over the surface of the soy sauce, the half-pipe being a 'break in the cable'...

soysaucejitterdac.png

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 11
How can you create masses of jitter?

Let congressmen and senators have lifetime appointments.

Wait. You meant audio jitter. Never mind.

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 11
Theoretically (not saying jitter is audible or not) you mismatch impedance insanely in a digital cable.

Theoretically.

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #7 of 11
Double post.

Jan 24, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 11
thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
guess i could solder resistors and stuff into a cable, or lots of different bits of wire together and have a listen....think i'll put the soy sauce plan on hold :p

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #9 of 11
Easiest way is to connect a large noise source to the clock input pin of your dac chip of about 0.5-2Vpp. You can use an mp3 player or something for that.

Removing the termination on the clock input will also help, but be careful as this could cause a short to ground depending on the type of termination.

Actually if you REALLY want jitter, disconnect the clock signal altogether and just connect noise to it. Hahahah. I'd love to hear that.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by googleborg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tasty :p

am being serious though, unless you are too...i guess i could use it, it's very salty, should conduct well?

perhaps i could get a small narrow plastic tube, cut it in half, stop the ends and fill it with soy sauce, route the shield of the coax via it's own little wire (if the shield is actually needed?) and conduct the digital signal over the surface of the soy sauce, the half-pipe being a 'break in the cable'...

soysaucejitterdac.png

This post made my day. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back