How can I convert 5.1 audio to my stereo headphones?
Oct 6, 2009 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sofakng

New Head-Fier
In my office I have my PC monitors (24" and 21") and 5.1 speaker surround sound (Logitech Z-5500s). To the right of my desk, in the corner, is my Samsung 32" 1080p LCD.

I've tried different room layouts but I don't seem to like anything except for how it's setup now which means I can't use 5.1 with my TV (because it's in the corner and the 5.1 is setup for the PC).

However, I have Beyer DT770/80s which are great headphones and I'm wondering how I can convert the PS3's 5.1 audio to my stereo headphones. I know I've seen some expensive devices ($1000???) that supposedly work VERY well but I can't quite afford anything that expensive.

Does anything less expensive exist?

(On a somewhat unrelated note, I've heard that the X-Fi's CMSS 3D works very well for converting computer audio 5.1 to stereo for headphones)

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sofakng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, I have Beyer DT770/80s which are great headphones and I'm wondering how I can convert the PS3's 5.1 audio to my stereo headphones. I know I've seen some expensive devices ($1000???) that supposedly work VERY well but I can't quite afford anything that expensive.

When you want to use your headphones just set the PS3 to output stereo instead of 5.1 audio. Might be a pain but it's a free solution.

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKisho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you want to use your headphones just set the PS3 to output stereo instead of 5.1 audio. Might be a pain but it's a free solution.

That's the correct answer. Feed your stereo headphones stereo. Especially if you're looking for an inexpensive solution.

(The Smyth Realizer will do great 5.1 through stereo headphones, for the low low price of $3000 or so.)

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 10
Yeah on a PS3 you're going to be limited to converting the output to stereo... although I feed my stereo headphones 5 channel audio and it outputs just fine, nothing missing. Maybe I'm not seeing the problem but give the 5.1 setup a try in my sig, might be what you're looking for...

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 10
I've heard pretty good things about the Astro A40 Mixamp, which does Dolby Headphone. You would use optical output of the PS3 direct into the mixamp and it would give you simulated surround sound for your stereo headphones.

It's about $130.

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or take the output from the TV to a headphone amp, TV's digital out won't output 5.1 but will downmix it to 2 channel.

and even cheaper: take the TV headphone out. Most TV's still have one, but probably totally not up to the level of a dedicated amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back