How can I connect a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 + schiit magni 2 uber to my computer?
May 18, 2015 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

illitirit

Head-Fier
Currently I am running a magni 2 uber to power my headphones, the source is from my sound blaster Z card line out.  

I had wanted to buy a modi 2 uber, but instead I totally forgot that I had a scarlett 2i2 laying around and  that could act as a DAC.

So instead of spending 150$ on a modi uber 2, im going to try getting the scarlett 2i2 to work.

The 2i2 has"balanced" 1/4 TRS outputs, what does this mean for me? 

Exactly what cable would I need to hook this up to my magni 2 uber?

The only cable I was able to find was these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O16/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

however they are unbalanced cables...  Would this present a problem?

Could someone link me a cable that will work?

Thank you!

May 18, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 5
Those cables you have linked should work fine, but as a caution you may want to double check the output voltage from the DAC as it may clip the input of the amp.  I run the balanced TRS from my m903 to my BUDA and it works just fine.  You will not get the benefits from balanced input / output, but it should be fine.

May 18, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 5
  Currently I am running a Magni 2 uber to power my headphones, the source is from my sound blaster Z card line out.  
I had wanted to buy a Modi 2 uber, but instead I totally forgot that I had a Scarlett 2i2 laying around and  that could act as a DAC.
So instead of spending 150$ on a Modi uber 2, I'm going to try getting the Scarlett 2i2 to work.
The 2i2 has"balanced" 1/4 TRS outputs, what does this mean for me? 
Exactly what cable would I need to hook this up to my Magni 2 uber?
The only cable I was able to find was these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O16/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
however they are unbalanced cables...  Would this present a problem?
Could someone link me a cable that will work?

Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before you installed the SB-Z.
Assuming you using this setup is mostly for music, as the SB-Z can not pass SBX Headphone surround sound thru the Front Speaker line-output jack.

The Magni 2 has an unbalanced input (RCA), so can not really take advantage of (or work with) the 2i2's balanced output.
So I can not see the 2i2 offering any advantages, over the SB-Z, for your current use.

May 18, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 5
  Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before you installed the SB-Z.
Assuming you using this setup is mostly for music, as the SB-Z can not pass SBX Headphone surround sound thru the Front Speaker line-output jack.

The Magni 2 has an unbalanced input (RCA), so can not really take advantage of (or work with) the 2i2's balanced output.
So I can not see the 2i2 offering any advantages, over the SB-Z, for your current use.

Hmm interesting, I basically just wanted to use it as a DAC but I will take your word for it since I dont think it was designed for this type of application.

Guess a modi 2 is in my near future.

May 18, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 5

Hmm interesting, I basically just wanted to use it as a DAC but I will take your word for it since I dont think it was designed for this type of application.

Guess a modi 2 is in my near future.

The SB-z comes with a built in half-way decent headphone amplifier, so why are you buying an external DAC or amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back