How can I check the hard drive cache (buffer)?
May 18, 2004 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

NEO

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone know the simple way to check the HD cache or buffer? I just bought Toshiba harddrive for my notebook but it comes w/o manual. The model seems to be slightly difference from what they have on the web so I just want to check it myself for sure. Can I do that from Bios or Control Panel?
Thanks,
NEO

May 18, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by NEO
Anyone know the simple way to check the HD cache or buffer? I just bought Toshiba harddrive for my notebook but it comes w/o manual. The model seems to be slightly difference from what they have on the web so I just want to check it myself for sure. Can I do that from Bios or Control Panel?
Thanks,
NEO

although it's conceivable that such a method exists, your best bet is to pull out a flash light and search the hard drive itself for either the information or some kind of model number. although I realize this isn't the easiest advice on a laptop, I've never seen any bios information related to buffer size.

May 18, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
If it helps, I think all laptop hdd buffers are 2MB, unless there are new high-performance ones, of which Hitachi would probably make. I'm 90% sure that it's 2MB.

Well, 2.5" laptop drives with 8 MB cache have been around for a while now. For example, the Hitachi Travelstar 5K80 5400-rpm HD with 8 MB cache has been on the market for about a year. I bought a 20 GB 5K80 last spring, and now they're available in up to 80 GB capacities.

Anyway, Textual Intercou(rse) has the right idea: Find the hard drive's model number and look it up on Toshiba's Storage Division website. (note: Toshiba's site is slow today for some reason.)

D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back