How can I add optical to my Laptop? NOT USB TO OPTICAL ADAPTER :(
Apr 22, 2009 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

DoYouRight

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a dell xps m1330 that I have a creative expresscard that has optical. My onboard optical was bypassed to run for the hdmi out by DELL. So under LINUX I have no way to use optical from my expresscard because creative hasnt made drivers. So any ideas of ways to get me optical for a iBasso D10?
Any Help is GREATLY appreciated,
Evan
ph34r.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 26
Apr 22, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 26
Does your laptop output audio through HDMI? It may only send video portion. I can't see why you don't buy a Linux approved USB to optical dongle. I've got one cost about a tenner but not sure if it works in Linux.

Maybe go to Linux forums?

Apr 22, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 26
Looks like hdmi converter, learn how to solder really tiny stuff and hard-wire it yourself while risking the death of your laptop and casting any warranty to the wind, or pay an alsa developer to figure out how to work your expresscard.

Apr 22, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 26
Apr 22, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HDMI 2x1 Switcher v1.3b w/ Separate SPDIF COAX Toslink Audio Output Channel how bout that? and it does send the hdmi audio. It routed the part of my soundcard to the hdmi instead of the ports on the headphone side with the mic.

Could I really pay an alsa guy to do it?

Well, it depends whether people think they know how to write the driver for the expresscard and are just unmotivated. If they have no idea how to support the card, then no.

the commercial OpenSound drivers might support it, but actually using them might be a pain

Apr 22, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 26
yes

Apr 22, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 26
yeah i just want all the features. they did make the drivers for the audigy pcmcia card. which is just about the same card but a little less powerful. i wonder if i could try to run those drivers for my card under linux?

BTW the opensource for these cards was sent to openaudio and stuff they just quit working on them. they renew driver updates once every 10 months. and the updates are what most companies do in 1-2 days. its insane. doesnt seem like they give a **** about people using audio on their linux boxes.

Apr 22, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #10 of 26
or would a usb to optical work. From A LOT of people the optical part of the iBasso D10 is better than usb. So does that mean the optical dac is better like the chip than the usb one? or optical is better than usb for sound? if its just the chip used in the device. than i guess usb to optical would work?

Apr 22, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 26
Apr 22, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #13 of 26
well everyone that has it and has spdif says it sounds like night and day vs usb. so what should i expect?

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well everyone that has it and has spdif says it sounds like night and day vs usb. so what should i expect?

If you've got $200 to blow, sell off 595 and get 650's. Better than that box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back