How broken is my ipod?
Sep 21, 2009 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jinp6301

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a 5 gen 60gb ipod that I've been using for a while. I dropped the ipod yesterday and it kind of broke on me. The audio outputs works but the screen outputs weirdly. I've dropped my ipod many times but this is the first time this has happened.

P1000775.jpg

P1000774.jpg

When I press buttons or have any inputs, right bars on the screen move up and down. I was wondering if you guy would know if this could be fixed with a new screen or if it is a bigger issue.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 9
definitely looks like a screen issue, seems like a new screen would fix it, but i'm not fully sure...

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 9
Have you tried resetting the ipod, re-loading the software, hitting it again?

I had an older one that showed the ! with the sick face. The hard drive couldn't read. I hit it on the corner with a firm downward motion and it began working again.

I've not seen your screen shots before but I'm guessing the video info. is scrambled. Try resetting and see what it does.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 9
Open it up, "unplug" the screen cable and then plug it back in. Hitting it might work too (great fix for hard drives, not sure about screens though). If you dropped it really hard, it could have damaged the logic board. Not sure how likely that would be though. If it is the screen, you could get a new one off ebay for $15-$20.

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 9
Could be the circuit board, it could be the screen or it could be the cable connected between the LCD and the circuit board. Unfortunately, there's no way to know without swapping out parts. but I agree that it sounds like a hardware problem, if Rockbox is the same.

Check the LCD cable and make sure it's not stripped on the end. did it come loose when you dropped it?

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check the LCD cable and make sure it's not stripped on the end. did it come loose when you dropped it?

Check the connection on the logic board and make sure that didn't get damaged either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back