How big of a sound signature difference between HD650 and HD700?
May 4, 2017 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Karlmalone1

New Head-Fier
Hey all, for those who have heard both headphones, how different is their character? Last fall I bought an HD700 from amazon and connected it through a Modi/Magni, and never fell in love with the sound. I returned it to amazon and am looking at getting something new. I've always heard so much about the 600/650, but never have listened to them. Being that I didn't care for the HD700s, are the HD650s that much different in character to warrant me giving them a shot, or should I go to another brand all together? Thanks!

May 4, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 5
Tonally, the HD600 and HD650 are somewhat opposites. The 600 is treble tilted slightly and its bass is rolled off most significantly beginning at about 100 Hz. The 650, on the other hand, is more bass emphasized and treble rolled off. They both have intimate stages. The 650 images better, is more detailed, and is more cohesive than the 600, IMO. The HD600 is classically thought of as being more neutral and thus, sometimes, a bit boring. I've only heard the HD700 once, so I am no guru, but it has a much more expansive soundstage than the 600/650, that's for sure, and I found there to be a bit of a higher end emphasis that was at times to me a bit prominent (5.5 and 11 kHz peaks, characteristics it shares with the RS-1 and T1 respectively). So, yeah, the 600 and 650 actually are that different from the 700--in my opinion. Some people love them, and some have your experience. Few people who get the 650, however, want to sell it. That is my take on things, anyway.

May 5, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 5
Hmm interesting, thanks for the insight. Maybe the more intimate stages will be more to my liking, as well as the warmer signatures it sounds like. I might just give the 650s a go.

As I think more about the HD700s when I had them, they didn't seem to pull me into the music as much as I'd want. They were too clinical or robotic sounding, or something along those lines. So Hoping the 650s or 600s are different in that regard.

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 5
Being that I didn't care for the HD700s, are the HD650s that much different in character to warrant me giving them a shot, or should I go to another brand all together?

Response in the treble and upper midrange are totally different. HD650 is weaker there than below it but also smoother/flatter by comparison. HD700 has peaks there.

The 600 is treble tilted slightly and its bass is rolled off most significantly beginning at about 100 Hz.

The bass rolls off at around 50hz actually. Just because the plateau is curved downward close to 100hz doesn't mean it's really "rolling off," since 45hz is still level with 1000hz. HD650 bass plateau is of course taller and wider - 30hz or thereabouts is still level with 1000hz.

Either way this is where a good parametric EQ comes in since a boost to where either is already below where 1000hz is, even if normally one should trim the plateau. As it is trimming that with EQ can end up trimming the weaker parts even more, though only slightly, negating what you might gain by reducing auditory masking.

May 5, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #5 of 5
Definitely give the HD650 a try. I find the HD700 more vivid, and expansive. The HD650 is very smooth, organic. Great headphone, up there with the LCD2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back