How big of a difference do the KT88 pads make for Sextetts?
Apr 22, 2009 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

doping panda

100+ Head-Fier
I've read some impressions from other members that the KT88 pads improved the sound quality of their Sextetts in comparison to the stock pads. I love my Sextetts, but I think a little more clarity and treble sparkle would definitely improve my opinion of them. Do you guys think the KT88 pads are worth it? I still don't know if he still has them or not, but I would just like to see if others believe they make a difference or not.

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by doping panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read some impressions from other members that the KT88 pads improved the sound quality of their Sextetts in comparison to the stock pads. I love my Sextetts, but I think a little more clarity and treble sparkle would definitely improve my opinion of them. Do you guys think the KT88 pads are worth it? I still don't know if he still has them or not, but I would just like to see if others believe they make a difference or not.

From my admittedly limited experience with them and hampered by the fact that my Sextett with the KT88 pads is a EP, while the one with stock pads is a MP:

Advantages:
-Comfort
-Much easier to get a good seal.

Changes in sound signature:
-Overall more clarity, although the signature becomes less warm and full than with the stock pads
-The slight bloat in the mid to high bass disappears and gets replaced by surprisingly deep bass.

As far as I can hear, almost all the changes are what you would expect if you replaced the stiff stock pads, with a softer, more sound-absorbing pad. It's worthwhile to experiment with it, but whether you'll end up prefering them will depend on your own taste. (And the state and production version of your pair of Sextetts of course.)

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for your impressions, Dro. If anything, it seems worth a shot. Added comfort and easier sealing ability are definitely a plus since I don't find my Sextett to be very comfortable. The added clarity is what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure if I would prefer the trade off. However, the Sextett is a very full and warm sounding headphone so a little loss of fullness and warmness might not be that undesirable. The slight mid to high bass bloat is definitely something I would enjoy, especially if that results in deep bass. Of course, I don't have an EP so the results with the MP might be rather different, but the state of the drivers and AKG's infamous product variation might be more significant in sound quality than just production runs. I'll take note of what you said to make my decision.

Apr 22, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by doping panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your impressions, Dro. If anything, it seems worth a shot. Added comfort and easier sealing ability are definitely a plus since I don't find my Sextett to be very comfortable. The added clarity is what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure if I would prefer the trade off. However, the Sextett is a very full and warm sounding headphone so a little loss of fullness and warmness might not be that undesirable. The slight mid to high bass bloat is definitely something I would enjoy, especially if that results in deep bass. Of course, I don't have an EP so the results with the MP might be rather different, but the state of the drivers and AKG's infamous product variation might be more significant in sound quality than just production runs. I'll take note of what you said to make my decision.

You know, I actually have the feeling that the Sextett sound consists of two separate signatures: a rather dry one (coming from the active driver) combined with a very warm and resonant one (from the passive drivers). That's probably not exactly how it works, but sometimes it feels that way.
smily_headphones1.gif

But yeah, that's the main conclusion you can draw from it. There are clear advantages to the pads when it comes to fit and comfort. They will change sound quality, but only you can decide which pad you'll end up prefering.

KT88 believed these pads would be available for some time to come. However, he has to get a new batch when he runs out of them and the shop where they sell them is not very close to his home. So sometimes you will have to wait a while before he has new ones that he can ship.

Apr 22, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, I actually have the feeling that the Sextett sound consists of two separate signatures: a rather dry one (coming from the active driver) combined with a very warm and resonant one (from the passive drivers). That's probably not exactly how it works, but sometimes it feels that way.
smily_headphones1.gif

That's a pretty interesting observation... especially since the move towards nonwoven paper vents instead of passive radiators led to a "drier" sound compared to the Sextetts. I never really listened with that thought in mind, but from memory I'd say that effect is the most pronounced in the EP version.

Apr 23, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #6 of 7
I also like the idea of the dry/warm signatures combining, but I unfortunately must say that it is not true, at least not like that. The K141 I have uses the sextett driver, but no passive radiators and sound very very similar. thus maybe the opposite may be true, that the drivers are warm and the radiators add detail, but i can't imagine that scenario...I think the passive radiators are just a way to tune the sound to make the drivers work with the large pad size...but I don't really know

Apr 23, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my admittedly limited experience with them and hampered by the fact that my Sextett with the KT88 pads is a EP, while the one with stock pads is a MP:

Advantages:
-Comfort
-Much easier to get a good seal.

Changes in sound signature:
-Overall more clarity, although the signature becomes less warm and full than with the stock pads
-The slight bloat in the mid to high bass disappears and gets replaced by surprisingly deep bass.

As far as I can hear, almost all the changes are what you would expect if you replaced the stiff stock pads, with a softer, more sound-absorbing pad. It's worthwhile to experiment with it, but whether you'll end up prefering them will depend on your own taste. (And the state and production version of your pair of Sextetts of course.)

I would agree with this. I really dono't think there is a black and white winner here, it is just a way to tune the phones. I notice that due to increased treble, details are more obvious- but I am hesitant to say that there is more detail. I like this quality, but I think the nice rich lower mids are a bit sacrificed, and treble can become a bit splashy if not synergized well with the amp, etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back