How big must your ears be for the IE8's?
Feb 4, 2009 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

thechungster

1000+ Head-Fier
I read reviews saying they are on the big side and might not fit some ears. How big is "Big" though? For info, I use the medium olive on the right, and small olive on my left for my current SE110's. Need this info to help me decide whether to get the SE530's or these.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read reviews saying they are on the big side and might not fit some ears. How big is "Big" though? For info, I use the medium olive on the right, and small olive on my left for my current SE110's. Need this info to help me decide whether to get the SE530's or these.

I have pretty small ears, and can't wear them pushed right in, because the housing presses really hard on the inner part of my ear. But I can avoid that by using the hard foam medium tips and pulling them out just enough for the housing to clear the ear ridge.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

How big is "Big" though?

Well, the different genders may have different opinions on that.
k701smile.gif

Seriously, I've been told I have small ears, and I find they fit quite well with the Comply tips. I'm not sure it's just an issue of the size of the ear, though, but also the shape of the ear, including the outer ear, where the IE8 rests. I don't think you can really know until you try them. And there are places that sell them on 30-day return.

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 16
My ears (and the canals) are small and the IE 8 fits me perfectly. They don't isolate as well as the Klipsch Customs (both with their stock single flange tips), but they are secure and seem better than the CX 300 (which isolation wise was always enough for me). They don't move around or dislodge when I am moving about or eating. They are also extremely comfortable and light that at times I don't notice them, again on my ears. I can't say for others.

ie8ear.jpg

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the different genders may have different opinions on that.
k701smile.gif

Seriously, I've been told I have small ears, and I find they fit quite well with the Comply tips. I'm not sure it's just an issue of the size of the ear, though, but also the shape of the ear, including the outer ear, where the IE8 rests. I don't think you can really know until you try them. And there are places that sell them on 30-day return.

Ooh, I'll buy them from the Apple Store and try them. Then give them back and buy them for cheaper online
tongue.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PoP! /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@thechungster

don't they charge for restocking fee or something?

I'm pretty sure they don't, I'll check. I'm still pretty unsure which to get out of the SE530's or the IE8's. Read many reviews, about the same price yet comfort might be where it all is decided for me.

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Ooh, I'll buy them from the Apple Store and try them. Then give them back and buy them for cheaper online
tongue.gif

Maybe you're kidding, but I wouldn't recommend that. It's not really ethical. And there are online places that offer a 30-day return.

Feb 11, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #10 of 16
I use medium tips on most phones and these fit my ears fine with medium tips aswell. if anything its the housing where any possible issues with fit will be.

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Screw ethical. Apple and sennheiser are doing just fine, lol. J/k

Yeah, Walmart's doing well too. Let's steal from them.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have pretty small ears, and can't wear them pushed right in, because the housing presses really hard on the inner part of my ear. But I can avoid that by using the hard foam medium tips and pulling them out just enough for the housing to clear the ear ridge.

your ears must be really small
tongue.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #14 of 16
IE8 isn't that big compares to W3 and SE530...its just the shape that makes it hard to fit...I am one of the lucky ones though...dont have that issue.

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #15 of 16
I had issues with the IE8.. They went in pretty easily, no pain or stress on my ears. But they keep getting pushed back out..
I could change to bigger tips I guess, but that makes them hard to get into position, and puts more stress on my earcanals, which makes it less comfortable during long-time usage..

The w3 fit me way better, triple.fi 10 fit good, but they were bigger than both ie8 and w3, and put more pressure on the earcanalopening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back