How big is the difference with DAC/amp or without on my K702?
Oct 4, 2014 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SlimSwaly

New Head-Fier
So i have my k702 for a few years now, and i started to look for a dac+amp.
I use roland quad capture as my sound interface (I have krk rokit 6 too) i mainly play fps games and produce psytrance music for fun on ableton.
My budget for dac+amp is 250$.

I think the best choice for me to buy Schiit modi + magni or vali.

Now i have few quations:
Do i really need a amp? ( now i can listen to music on max but i cant tell its loud for me its "ok"[and i dont think i need to go loder])

If im gonna buy amp, Schiit is my best choice?

If yes go for magni or for vali?

:) sorry for my english

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 8
It's hard to tell if you need an amp, that Roland already has one. As much as I would say there are amps out there that can provide more current that the K7xx need, it's hard to tell how much of an improvement the Mani or Vali would be over that Roland, unlike for example if you would get a Burson Soloist/Conductor (which I've personally heard) or the Meier Jazz. I have an older Meier amp that's now out of production, and if I hadn't heard the Bursons, I'd say it can't get any better; although in terms of value for money it probably doesn't save for the Heed CanAmp which I haven't heard yet (the cheapest version of the Bursons is the Soloist SL and that's still $600).

Oct 5, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 8
  It's hard to tell if you need an amp, that Roland already has one. As much as I would say there are amps out there that can provide more current that the K7xx need, it's hard to tell how much of an improvement the Mani or Vali would be over that Roland, unlike for example if you would get a Burson Soloist/Conductor (which I've personally heard) or the Meier Jazz. I have an older Meier amp that's now out of production, and if I hadn't heard the Bursons, I'd say it can't get any better; although in terms of value for money it probably doesn't save for the Heed CanAmp which I haven't heard yet (the cheapest version of the Bursons is the Soloist SL and that's still $600).

Well my biggest question is if with Schiit i will hear difference in the sound quality coz i dont think i need my headphone any louder then now... 

Oct 5, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #4 of 8
Rule of thumb with AKGs - 

Never go OTL.

That'll make finding a amp easier,AKGs love a good current swing with low output impedance to function properly.
A good SS like the Heed CanAm or maybe a Violectric amp is the best choice.
As far as differences go... in my experience there are noteworthy differences when you upgrade but usually minuscule enough to justify.

Good luck !

Oct 5, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #5 of 8
   "it's hard to tell how much of an improvement the Mani or Vali would be over that Roland,"

[size=12.8000001907349px]I have the q701. [/size][size=12.8000001907349px]I agree with him. [/size][size=12.8000001907349px]I say that if you are already enjoying your phones as-is, it is likely not worth the upgrade at all. From testing that I have done, there is no audible difference between a fiio e10's amp, and a schiit Lyr.  It is possible that there is a quality difference in the dac. I highly doubt that though. If you were using something much higher in, it might be practical with an k812 or a hd800, but the q701/k70*  just aren't affected by these small changes. My suggestion is that you should only buy an amp if you want to make it louder.  On the other hand, always pushing an amp to its highest level will probably shorten its life. I have heard this, can't verify it though.[/size]

[size=12.8000001907349px]I vote magni + modi. Schiit is pretty awesome. I have only used their Lyr, but they seem to make a great product.  Having a tube amp only has cons in comparison to a solid state. You usually have a buzzing sound at normal listening volume, as apposed to a solid state that only has distortion when pushed to its maximum. The Magni also has much more power than the Vali.  1W vs 550 mW at 100 ohm.  The Vali, might not even have more power than your Quad. I cant find any specs on it. [/size]

Oct 5, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 8
  Well my biggest question is if with Schiit i will hear difference in the sound quality coz i dont think i need my headphone any louder then now... 

Like I said, that's hard to tell unless someone here has tried that same Roland, and even so some people can't tell the differences either (so it's on both ends of it here). For starters though check the output impedance on the Roland and its voltage swing.  If its output impedance isn't 1/8 of the AKG's nominal impedance, and/or its voltage swing is half the Schiit's, then it's likely (again, not guaranteed) that you will hear improvements.

EDIT: based on Head Injury's post below, I have a few guesses on what those improvements are, but suffice to say that I have a good idea that it would be audible; I just won't go into details as that can have a very specific suggestive effect as you evaluate.

Oct 5, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 8
Is this your Roland?

Output Impedance PHONES              47 ohms

I can't find output voltage for the phone out, but it's going to be significantly reduced with that output impedance, and your damping factor is pretty terrible.

Get the Schiit Magni. You may not hear a difference, but your K701 will thank you for it. You can still use the Roland as a perfectly capable DAC, or get the Modi for a matching set.

Actually just get the Modi too. Looks like the Roland uses 1/4 inch plugs for the line out, and it's balanced. You'd need some crazy connectors.

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 8
Buy a used magni or vali. If you don't like it, you can sell for no loss.

I used to own the Q701. I could get adequate volume from my laptop but it sounded like poo. A dedicated amp opened the sound up considerably. There wasn't a huge difference between a cheap cmoy amp and a desktop tube amp though. Don't know about the Roland, but IMO a dedicated amp is worth trying if you're curious. But that's not to say that I guarantee you'll hear a big difference. You might not. I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back