How big is ATH-SJ5?
Feb 27, 2008 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sparrows78

New Head-Fier
Why does 99% of all product photos showing headphones without anyone wearing them? Sure - sound comes first, but looks and size is also important, especially when wearing them in public.
I'm about to pull the trigger on the ATH-SJ5, but as I'm only able to find one (blurry) picture of someone wearing them on the whole World Wide Web
wink.gif
, I still don't know their actual size and fitting on the head...
Any owners out there that can describe how they fit? How big are the earcups? Does it stick out much etc.? (maybe a picture......?)
smily_headphones1.gif
cool.gif

Thanks for all help!

Feb 27, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sparrows78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why does 99% of all product photos showing headphones without anyone wearing them? Sure - sound comes first, but looks and size is also important, especially when wearing them in public.
I'm about to pull the trigger on the ATH-SJ5, but as I'm only able to find one (blurry) picture of someone wearing them on the whole World Wide Web
wink.gif
, I still don't know their actual size and fitting on the head...
Any owners out there that can describe how they fit? How big are the earcups? Does it stick out much etc.? (maybe a picture......?)
smily_headphones1.gif
cool.gif

They are smaller than they look in the pictures you see around, but they are definitely not small (will try to take a picture with my cellphone and post it here). I found mine a tiny bit uncomfortable at first, as the pads pressed against a very small part of my upper ears. After a few hours use this minor problem disappeared, and now they are very comfortable. On me they are more or less circumaural, and I'm not small nor have small ears. They are not invisible though.

Feb 27, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't remember quite well but it's about almost the same as PX100s.

Hmmmm I don't think so, they are definitely much larger than my px200...

Feb 28, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few horrible pics taken with my cellphone a couple of minutes ago.

Thanx for all help! Very helpful - I really appreciate it! They seems to be good enough for portable use in publik.
Btw are you happy with their overall performance?

Feb 28, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sparrows78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanx for all help! Very helpful - I really appreciate it! They seems to be good enough for portable use in publik.
Btw are you happy with their overall performance?

They're good closed phones at that price point, much much better than the more expensive px200 (which I have owned for quite a while), and probably better and definitely more comfortable than the modded AKG K26P, which I also own. I don't think you can go wrong with them, especially if you pay them at ebay rates. Let us know what you think if you decide to buy them.

L.

Mar 15, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 10
Going to revive this real quick.

I just purchased a pair of ATH-SJ3's, because I didnt notice the SJ5's for $4 more on audiocubes.com

Anyways. They came, and when I tried them on and started using them they werent too bad. The sound was better than most headphones I had used (in that price range), but definitely not as good as my PX100's.

I was wondering how you guys feel about the SJ3's (or SJ5's I guess) sound quality in general. After comparing my PX100's to my SJ3s, I almost seem MAD that I spent the money on the SJ3s. The sound seems muddy, hi-hat hits are muffled and unclear. It could just be I was used the the open air style of the PX100's but I doubt it.

Any opinions?

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sackynut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering how you guys feel about the SJ3's (or SJ5's I guess) sound quality in general. After comparing my PX100's to my SJ3s, I almost seem MAD that I spent the money on the SJ3s. The sound seems muddy, hi-hat hits are muffled and unclear. It could just be I was used the the open air style of the PX100's but I doubt it.

Any opinions?

I can't say anything about the SJ3s, but I am generally very happy with my SJ5s. I find the sound to be very clear, maybe a little short on low bass, but what is there sounds great. They are very easy to drive. The cable is the right length. I think these are a perfect HP to use with any portable source without an amp. My ONLY complaint is that after extended listening, the supra-aural pads hurt my ears with my glasses on, but that happens pretty much with anything. Compared to my PX100s, the SJ5s beat them in all aspects except comfort, but the PX100s do have a nice, open, airy sound.

Mar 15, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 10
Wow thats amazing, I wonder if its a personal subjective thing, or if the SJ5's are really much better than the SJ3's.

Personally, my PX100's beat out my SJ3's pretty well. I cant imagine getting a pair of cans better than the 100's for only $4 more, but then again anything is possible.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back