How big are the risk for import duties ?
Dec 31, 2009 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ozer

100+ Head-Fier
This is a simple and short question
biggrin.gif
If I live in Sweden and buy for example a Woo Audio 6, how big is the risk of getting to pay import duties ?? I shouldn't buy from USA (or any other place outside Europe), because this risk, but I so much want to have a WA6
smily_headphones1.gif
frown.gif
Right now I hate Sweden
mad.gif
, we have 25% (I think, or more...) tax !!! That's just insane.... So buying WA6 would be, 580$ plus about 70$ in shipping plus PDPS upgrade for 60$ and then I have a risk of paying 25% import duties... That's almost 900$ !!!
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif
Normally it would cost 710$... Couldn't they at least have import duties every time... Because I will probably buy the WA6 and hope for the best and then with my bad luck, have to pay duties
frown.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 9
You have 25% VAT + there will be customs fee on top of that. Don't know how it is in Sweden , but in Estonia shipping costs are also taxed. I think that there is pretty high probability that you will have to pay for it. You could ask Jack to under-declare it for you, but this could also be risky. You know customs officials aren't exactly fools and oh the horror - nowadays they have the internet, it isn't too hard to Google your product and find out what the cost actually was.
When I order from outside of the EU I always consider maximum VAT + customs fee, that way there won't be any nasty surprises.

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 9
A few years ago I had many things from USA skip import duties, but everything I've bought this year (2009) was taxed.

Nowdays I find it better to plan my budget with import duties included and maybe get a small present if I'm lucky.

But maybe I'm just unlucky?

EDIT:
Sometimes they've mailed me and asked for the price for my package when it's been very unclear (and I think it's a VERY bad idea to try and lie here), this have been mostly form China/Asia from what I recall.

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 9
I would calculate that you have to pay full VAT on the imported item. Then take it as a bonus if you happen not to.
It is mostly depending on the declared value of the parcel.

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #5 of 9
I also live in Sweden and i currently have some Little Dot products being shipped to me. The guys at LD was kind enough to write a low value on the shipment, but i'll see how it goes. I had in mind when i ordered that i could have to pay the VAT. I dont know if we have an import duty on electronics products like amplifiers here in sweden though, i know there are no import duties on some similar products. I'll report when my shipment gets here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #6 of 9
My Little Dot I+ is right now at valuation for declaration of import duties at the customs department at the local airport (Gardermoen)

Only way to avoid paying vat here(Norway), is to have it sent from a private person and have the value declared to less than 1000,- NOK and marked as a gift.

They might inquire if the insured value is way off from decalred value..

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #7 of 9
This is how it should work in the EU.

true price = ((original price + shipping) * 1.045 * 1.25) + customs brokerage fee

In the above, the duty is 4.5% (as it is for audio amplifiers, TARIC code 8518408999) and VAT is 25% (for Sweden). There may be some limits below which the duty or the tax is not collected.

The customs brokerage fee is charged by the shipping agent and may or may not be easily avoidable if you are willing to clear the item yourself.

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #8 of 9
In Finland the risk is big, pretty much a certainty for larger items. Very small items may slip through. Also duties or taxes (considered separately) below €10 are not collected, and as usual there are exceptions even to that exception.

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #9 of 9
My LD MKIV SE was around 400$ + 90$ shipping + 20% of 490$ was VAT. Calculate yourself how much that cost me. I've ordered a lot of products from all over the world and always had to pay VAT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back