how bad is steam for headphones?
Feb 12, 2010 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

rhythmdevils

Member of the Trade: rhythmdevils audio
I like washing dishes with headphones, but when I'm rinsing at the end, the hot water creates some steam, and sometimes I take the phones off cause it seems like it would be pretty bad for the drivers. Or when I'm cooking, pouring boiling water, etc.

Anyone else work in the kitchen with phones?

Feb 12, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 20
Your closed back K81dj are perfectly safe from the moisture, but ksc75 is semi-open and moiseture will get into it. The semi-open/open headphones I've had say to never use in humid environment.

Feb 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #3 of 20
Wow, this is a very interesting question, since I love to listen to music while immerse for hours (literally) in a very hot bath.

So closed headphones are NOT affected by moisture at all?

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 20
everything will eventually be damaged by steam even closed what does matter is the duration and just how much steam you are talking about. as far as doing the dishes you are talking short duration and low amount of steam in a big room there shouldn't be any problem with that as far as HOURS in a closed bathroom with large amounts of steam even closed headphones will be affected by that and you would really need to look into something that is waterproof.

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 20
Only waterproof/water-resistant headphones can survive sauna/long baths. Don't even think about trying the HD800 in a sauna, the earpads will probably shrink to half thickness after one sauna.

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 20
HD800 in the sauna... you're joking...right?

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antani /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, this is a very interesting question, since I love to listen to music while immerse for hours (literally) in a very hot bath.

So closed headphones are NOT affected by moisture at all?

This sounds unhealthy for more than just headphones

Feb 12, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #11 of 20
Well my k81dj's are busted at the moment, the same connection problem in the jack that everyone eventually has with these.

So I've been listening to my HD600's in the kitchen. Or my sextetts. I just set up a second stereo in there, connected via airtunes so I guess I should just use that, or the K81dj's when i fix'm. Airtunes sounds like garbage by the way, and the connection cuts in and out even when the airtunes is literally sitting right on top of my airport extreme... WEAK

Feb 12, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #12 of 20
So is it uanimous that washing dishes in hot water while wearing the HD600 is a bad idea? I was hoping yall would tell me i was crazy and that i should go ahead and do it

Feb 12, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by angle_sh00ter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also wondering about using my new HD800s in the sauna. I mean would it be bad for them in the long run?

it shouldn't be a problem i think. Sauna's usually are hot, not humid. Steambad's on the other hand are very humid and much less hot.

Feb 12, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justice Strike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it shouldn't be a problem i think. Sauna's usually are hot, not humid. Steambad's on the other hand are very humid and much less hot.

That's what I was thinking. The only thing I am worried about is what people will think if they see me in there with my ipod, portable amp and massive headphones on. I guess I will get a lot of weird looks

Feb 13, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #15 of 20
No! Steams are not bad for any headphones at all! In fact, its actually very good for the headphones and will improve the sound quality dramatically over time. *sarcasm*
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back