How bad is K501 unamped?
Feb 2, 2007 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

NEO

500+ Head-Fier
I used to have this for a very short period and can not really stand the sound out of my laptop's heaphone socket (dont have this trouble with Beyer 831,931 etc). I had never get to know how the K501 sounds like since I had not given them enough listening time.

But, how bad is it really? I mean w/o any amp. I can live with the unamped Beyer but not with K501. I noticed that many people seems to want this but ended up selling them. They appears in the sell forum pretty often. For anyone who bought and sold it, do you have this same problem I had? Is anyone really like the K501 unamped?
NEO

Feb 3, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you want either an amp or a DAC. most DACs can drive the K501s just fine and don't need an amp.

Agreed. (I don't know about the DAC part.) I use mine amped and do not like the way they sound without an amp: much smaller soundstage; hardly any bass at all; and sounds are thin at best. Only tried them unamped once. Never again.

Feb 3, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. (I don't know about the DAC part.) I use mine amped and do not like the way they sound without an amp: much smaller soundstage; hardly any bass at all; and sounds are thin at best. Only tried them unamped once. Never again.

It's ok.. you get the basic sound but there's no power to it

And DACs can't drive headphones

Feb 3, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's ok.. you get the basic sound but there's no power to it

And DACs can't drive headphones

... eh you want to fly over to california and hear my rig?

Feb 3, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 21
Well, I'm in California and DACs don't magically drive headphones in my part of the state. Certainly some DACs can have a heaphone amp built-in (Benchmark, Lavry, etc.), but that's not the DAC, nor do they all or even most have them.

Between this and the "has anyone tried converting the HD650 to an open design" thread, I'd really like to know your source for chemical fun cotdt.

And K501s suck without significant amplification.

Feb 3, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

... eh you want to fly over to california and hear my rig?

It's being driven by the internal amp in your soundcard/mp3 player. DACs don't drive headphones.

Feb 3, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

my DAC outputs almost 300mW, which is more than enough for my K701s. yes, you can take my word for it that it is enough power.

Right, but surely it has a built-in amp.

Feb 3, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #12 of 21
cotdt, what DAC do you use?

Feb 3, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cotdt, what DAC do you use?

It's a modified Zhaolu 2.5A. I replaced the output board and added a discrete FET-based amp into it. At full output I bet they could melt my headphones, but i've never tried. Needless to say, there is plenty of output from my source.

Feb 3, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

It's a modified Zhaolu 2.5A. I replaced the output board and added a discrete FET-based amp into it.

Zhaolu is a DAC + amp, buddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back