How bad are AKG k701 without an amp?
Sep 30, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #46 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by AP3X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HUH? You don't? No offense but you don't put a big engine in a car for fuel economy either.

You put it in for acceleration, for higher tow capacity, for better ability to pull out of corners, etc. Power isn't just for top speed.

A more powerful amp does everything better, not just more volume. More volume is almost never used, in fact, because people tend to listen at a lower volume with an appropriately-powered amp. They don't need to crank it to make up for lost dynamic transients

Sep 30, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #47 of 51
Here's my experience over the last 10 days with my K701s.

Out of the box, was sort of disappointed. I knew they would need substantial break-in, but they sounded REALLY "constrained". I've gotten about 150 hours on them now.

On the i-pod, they sound really good. Much better than my Sure e4's and Audio-Technica ATH-M50's, albeit, they start to break-up at reasonably high volumes. But, they sound great.

When powered by my Harman Kardon AVR 754, they are much better. A very enjoyable listening experience.

I have a Woo 6se on order, and I suspect they will sound superb.

So, yes, I think they sound really, really good without an amp, but I suspect that is not how they are designed and you could do better for the price, if that's going to be your primary application.

Sep 30, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #48 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Germancub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive listened to my K601s and K701s out of the best amps in the industry and listen usually through just my mac laptop or iPod nano... full volume is literally tinnitus-inducing. I dont know how loud you guys listen but jeez! lol. .

I have to disagree - it's not about how loud it goes, but rather the full, greater sense of dynamics that a headphone amp brings to the 702 when properly driven. Yes my laptop can drive the 702 at low volumes, but the bass presence and soundstage just lacks.

Sep 30, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #49 of 51
For me, I did plenty of reading before I tested. I went into my test expecting the k701 to not have any bass at all like everyone eludes to on head-fi. What I found is that there was plenty of bass there even through the Macbook it was just tight. My perception of it is that the headphones where built to be accurate with minmal coloration, accurracy, detail, soundstage, and transparency was what I desired most from a headphone and I could clearly hear that these phones could do it just off of listening from my Macbook Pro.

Oct 1, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #50 of 51
I find female vocals heavenly through my K702s, they make listening to Melody Gardot, Norah jones etc.. a very personal experience.

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #51 of 51
I went to CanJam in LA, I have literally heard them through every amp that is worth a damn... and still dont find them unamped "lacking" in any ways, but again thats a personal thing. Some people can hear the difference through different outlets... all I can say is LOL to that. I think headphones make the biggest difference and amps just "sweeten" them up.

I mentioned loudness because everybody seems to think (loudness wise) they are also difficult to drive and i wanted to share my thoughts on that. It seems that if you dont spend your entire paycheck on the newest and most expensive amp here at head-fi you are considered "uncool"... haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back