How aware are audio engineers of Psychoacoustics and other BS beliefs?
Feb 1, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #61 of 64
Quote:
Also, you already know that the effects of better specs start to diminish beyond a point. With these boutique companies, sometimes its exclusivity (performance and/or looks) that counts as an objective. And once you make something exclusive, prices can be named.

That's it right there. It has nothing to do with R&D, specs or sound. It's all about how heavy is it? What exotic wood is the case made out of? and Will it make my friends jealous?

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #62 of 64
Quote:

Just having the injection molds made for all the plastic bits would exceed that.
biggrin.gif

se

I was thinking the same....considering how many electronic devices are OEM compnents slap together; I wonder how much "R&D" is really just case design, GUI, and switching parts/cost cutting for the big brands.

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #63 of 64
Quote:
A quick look at Steve Hoffman's forum and the Gearslutz forum reveals that even professional recording engineers (even famous ones!) are mostly subjectivists who believe in expensive cables, and reject lossy codecs as well as the ABX methodology.

I don't think they are the people the OP meant. He'd talking, I believe, about people who design hardware rather than those who twiddle knobs. Very different!

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #64 of 64
Thanks all for an interesting and enlightening thread. I even enjoyed the points I don't agree with.

I've learned some important lessons from nwavguy (banned at head-fi, unfortunately). In case you missed it, his premise is that the combination of competent design, decent components, and solid execution (pcb layout, etc) can result in systems that work well in a demonstrable way without costing all that much. Without all those elements, you don't exploit the potential of the components (i.e. you throw away dynamic range, increase noise and distortion, etc). Fancy design approaches and expensive components hyped by the manufacturers of expensive gear don't guarantee anything without skilled execution at both the design and manufacturing levels. As an engineer, that viewpoint appeals to me.

His view seems consistent with the mountain bike analogy made earlier. The real values are found in mid-range components that are executed well. Personally, i enjoy finding things that don't cost all that much but work well from my perspective. As an example, my Grado SR80s were my head-fi gateway drug, I can't think of a more satisfying purchase.

I also liked the comment that most systems sound better with beer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back