How are these headphones?
Sep 2, 2013 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

moominman2

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm in search of a pair of closed back headphones for no more than £200. 

I'll mainly use them for when doing uni work in the library or at home, but will also use them when walking to and from uni. 

I listen to a variety of genres, but I mostly focus on classic rock, acoustic and sometimes electronic music. I don't really go into metal, but do like a bit of Rammstein! 

I really need good noise isolation and little leakage from the headphones. I don't think portability is a problem...to an extent.

I was originally looking at the AKG K550s. They look professional and have heard many good things about them. Although, lately realised they may not be so great for rock? 

So I've now been looking at the Shure SRH840s. I like that these have a removable cable, but not so keen on them folding up. 

But that's not important...It's the sound! So can anyone advise me on these for what I need/ want, or throw some more in the list to try?

Many thanks,
Luke.

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 39
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm in search of a pair of closed back headphones for no more than £200. 

I'll mainly use them for when doing uni work in the library or at home, but will also use them when walking to and from uni. 

I listen to a variety of genres, but I mostly focus on classic rock, acoustic and sometimes electronic music. I don't really go into metal, but do like a bit of Rammstein! 

I really need good noise isolation and little leakage from the headphones. I don't think portability is a problem...to an extent.

I was originally looking at the AKG K550s. They look professional and have heard many good things about them. Although, lately realised they may not be so great for rock? 

So I've now been looking at the Shure SRH840s. I like that these have a removable cable, but not so keen on them folding up. 

But that's not important...It's the sound! So can anyone advise me on these for what I need/ want, or throw some more in the list to try?

Many thanks,
Luke.

I do like the K550 rock my self actually 

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 39
Quote:
I haven't heard rock through them. I've heard they can sound thin?

I don't find them to be thin with rock, they have a nice tone with guitars to them, although it should be noted I'm listening with my Matrix M stage with a slighty lean lme 49990 op amp. How ever I also like them with my Jds Labs C5, which does add a nice bit of warmth to them! 

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 39
Quote:
I haven't heard rock through them. I've heard they can sound thin?

The AKG K550s are not an in your face kind of sound, but still fairly good for music audio.
Currently listening to Heavy Metal Takin' a ride, with my K550s plugged into my Essence STX.

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 39
Quote:
The AKG K550s are not an in your face kind of sound, but still fairly good for music audio.
Currently listening to Heavy Metal Takin' a ride, with my K550s plugged into my Essence STX.

Agree'd they don't have the imtacy or aggression of my w1000x, but they also don't have the w1000x slower sound, they K550 have a good tone to them with rock and keep it very well! My w1000x is a tad sluggish with metal sadly 

I'm actually selling my pair of K550 [I have teh Beyer Dt 880 which has a simmilar sound so I don't need the closed K550 any more]

for $160 USD, I understand there is extra shipping and import tax for items from the US, but assuming Shipping is around $50 extra, and the import tax is 30, with the GPB trading for 1.55=1usd you'd get mine for around 154 GPB, 

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 39
Thanks for the replies guys. 

So how do the AKGs compare to the shures for what I'm after? 

I like the 'in your face' kinda sound, but perhaps wouldn't actually be ideal for when I'm working.

Also thanks for the offer on your set, but I can pick up a new set for £130 here mate.

Cheers

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. 

So how do the AKGs compare to the shures for what I'm after? 

I like the 'in your face' kinda sound, but perhaps wouldn't actually be ideal for when I'm working.

Also thanks for the offer on your set, but I can pick up a new set for £130 here mate.

Cheers

holy crap xD u suck 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back