How are the W2002s out of the DAC1?
Oct 7, 2004 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TrevorNetwork

TrevorNetwork - Canadian Group Buy Coordinator
It is my understanding from reading some old threads that the W2002 is unique in that it does well with a "clinical" sounding source/amp. Have anyone tried the DAC1's headphone jack with the W2002? What about the DAC1 as a source with a different amp? A Gilmore perhaps?

Cheers!

Trevor

Oct 7, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 14
I was extremely disapointed with the progression of sound quality within the AT line. I own an a900 and lusted after the upper end ATs up until I spent a couple of hours comparing them. The differences were minimal at best. I don't care what people say about diminishing returns, there should be a night and day difference between a $200 dollar phone(a900) and a $2400 one(l3000), but apparently there is only a plastic and wood one.

Between the a900 and the w2002 I was hard pressed to hear any significant differences. It had an overall more refined sound(i.e. smoother) but it lagged a smidge in response.(i.e. a little slow) Depending on the type of music you listen to, and if you have the money, I would suggest the w2002, as it does edge out the a900 in sound quality, IMO. However, within the AT line, the price difference tends to be more due to pretty laquered wood than genuine refinement of the sound.

Don't get me wrong, if someone offered me the chance to trade my AT for a w2002, I would do it in a heartbeat. But I could never rationalize spending nearly three times as much for it.

These impressions are based on maybe 2-3 hours of listening directly through the benchmark headphone outputs.

Oct 7, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
I don't care what people say about diminishing returns, there should be a night and day difference between a $200 dollar phone(a900) and a $2400 one(l3000), but apparently there is only a plastic and wood one.

Between the a900 and the w2002 I was hard pressed to hear any significant differences.

eek.gif

Now.. I expect a barrage of rebuttal from W2002 and L3000 owners
icon10.gif

Oct 7, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 14
I personally feel that the heapdhone amp is a bit too thin for "analytical" phones like the AT's. The one major universal complaint against the headphone amp of the benchmark is that it presents a slightly narrowed soundstage. With my grado's, it is not much of an issue, but with the a900, it feels like there could be more there.

My personal favorite setup for the a900 was the benchmark->gpalmer's uber hr-2->phones. I must admit I am not a fan of the "true" digital sound and with the ATs and benchmark, I prefer a "darkish" component somewhere in the signal path, rather it be ppa with 627s, an hr-2 or something similar.

Personal preference aside, the soundstage issue might be enough to convince you towards a separate amp.

Oct 7, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by swalker
eek.gif

Now.. I expect a barrage of rebuttal from W2002 and L3000 owners
icon10.gif

As the owner of both A900 and W2002 at the same time, I can tell you that out of my (at that time not as capable as what I have now, although the modded amp scaled very nicely) systems there was a commensurate relative difference in terms of capability, relatively speaking to other phones I had in the meanwhile (SR80, RS-1, CD3K, etc).

I would say a difference which is consistent with differences between models in other manufacturer ranges, and one which is relatively detectable without megabuck gear behind the phones, is present in the A900-W2002 step up.

IMO and ATCOMOA&SWPIOANIASOMC (According To Capabilities Of My Own Amp & Source With Phones I Own And Not In A Sub Optimal Meet Condition) of course
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 14
l3000 = pretty w2002. I heard a pair of wayne's pair unbroken in, and i did like them for what the experience was worth. I like them just like i like hearing r10s, and other completly unrealistic options, grain of salt, they were good, price no object? not the best.

Dac1 on the matter, i had w1000s at dat1 ownership time, and hate to say it, but the combo blew in a major way.

So did cd3ks, and rs1s... didnt like any of em on that setup.

The only cans to date, that i can enjoy out of the dac1 amp was the hd600s-650s.

That said, u can have an emmeline HR2 (or other amp, thats what i had) and have a pleasing experience with DAC1 on duty. w2002 may not be as troublesome, but they are of the same lineage, and i suspect it won't be great.

Oct 7, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #9 of 14
I have a Dynahi, and I will be making another PPA as well. Amp-wise I'm quite strong. Does the DAC1's analogue output work well with the W2002? This, assuming I am using a high-end very clean amplifier?

Oct 7, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
l3000 = pretty w2002.

well, to me the L3000 has a recessed mid range and better bass response compared to the W2002 and sounds quite different from the W2002. there are other things like a faster attack and decay, all of which make me prefer the L3000 over the W2002 (at least for the majority of the stuff I listen to).

as for the A900 and DAC1... I've never owned either one and have only listened to them for a very short time over the course of several meets a month apart from each other or so, thus I'll refrain from making any comments since I'll have no clue what I'll be talking about.

Oct 8, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Not with a mini-meet IMO. Borrow a pair for a week or two.

you hear that alex? I am going to have to hold on to your w2002 for awhile. Don't worry, you'll get them back
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think you are right though, bangraman, the differences would take some time to truthfully discern. I would suggest maybe a series of after school/work encounters to simulate the ownership experience, but I think that ayt999 is really busy over at berkeley. hmmm....

Oct 8, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Not with a mini-meet IMO. Borrow a pair for a week or two.

you hear that justin? I am going to have to hold on to your DAC1 for awhile. Don't worry, you'll get them back.
very_evil_smiley.gif

me busy? sort of, but I think we can work something out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back