How are the Sony XBA-40 earphones, I can get new for around $130. Listen mostly to EDM
Jan 19, 2015 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

wer1sdf2

New Head-Fier
Looking to spend only around $150 for a pair of new headphones. Researched a bit, and found the XBA 40s for only $130 brand new. I saw some issues with their low impedance around these forums. I am pairing them with an iPhone 5. I can spend an additional 50-70$ on a portable amp. Please give me some suggestions for the amp, or for different headphones that sound better for around the same money. Current contenders are Ety HF5, Shure se215, Klipsch s4. But right now I am set on getting the xba 40. I listen mostly to electronic, pop, rap.

Does the quad armature necessarily sound better? Or does the quality of the drivers matter more for this price range? Take example the $79.99 apple in ear headphones with the 2 balanced armatures which sounds like a pile of fecal matter.

Thanks in advance for your time and all the helpful suggestion.

Also, most of my music is in 320kbps

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 4
A headphone is just like any other speaker - there are an almost infinite variety of designs based on different driver types, number of drivers, ports, crossovers, etc. 10 years ago, a triple-driver IEM was consider incredibly exotic. Now we have IEMs with 10 or 12 drivers. The number of drivers is not a specification that I care about. IMHO, the only thing that matters are the results. Either it sounds good or it doesn't.

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 4
A headphone is just like any other speaker - there are an almost infinite variety of designs based on different driver types, number of drivers, ports, crossovers, etc. 10 years ago, a triple-driver IEM was consider incredibly exotic. Now we have IEMs with 10 or 12 drivers. The number of drivers is not a specification that I care about. IMHO, the only thing that matters are the results. Either it sounds good or it doesn't.

Thank you, but I was wondering if the XBA-40 are the best sounding headphone I can get for around $150. Like you said, will it give me the best results for the price, I don't really care about how many drivers it has.

For reference, I found a thread by someone made in 2011,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/653564/review-xba-3-vs-xba-30-vs-xba-40

I never realized these headphones were so old. Could I get a professional opinion on these headphones, or a suggestion to a better set for around the same price, it would be much appreciated. I just don't know the technical mumbo jumbo they mentioned. For example apparently they said that the xba-40 has a low impedance of 8 ?? Is that bad or good? Also, they mentioned the headphones have the widest soundstage possible in an iem, is that suppose to be good or bad?

I saw they mentioned using a amplifier, could you please recommend one to me that's around 70$, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back