How are the Skullcandy headphones?
Dec 26, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I opened them up and listened to them with my ipod for about 15 min., and promptly threw them away...

I love that you were not even compelled to return them. A true and noble act of disgust...

Dec 30, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #33 of 40
haha im astounded at that too btw
tongue.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a pair of the smokin' earbuds a couple months ago,
<snip>
I opened them up and listened to them with my ipod for about 15 min., and promptly threw them away

Enough said!

Jan 5, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #35 of 40
No, actually these buds (the "ink'd" at least, I think they're basically the same) are quite decent. They're much better than some $50 Sony Fonotopia buds that I bought a few years back, for example. I've found them usually priced at $15-$20 and even discounted down to $5 (Sam's), which is an amazing deal. You need to make sure to select the silicone surrounds that best fit your ear to get bass response (plus pretty good isolation), that's critical, and they provide 3 sizes for a good range.
Properly fitted, they're a little on the bright side, but highs and lows (the latter not exaggerated like my AKG K26Ps, which need EQ to sound correct) are all very much there. Sure I prefer the sound of my Grado SR60's, but they leak like a sieve, and of course are an entirely different beast.
I've been a bit of an audiophile for decades, and appreciate decent sound on a budget, too, and think these, coupled with an inexpensive MP3 player (one of those little "Sansa's" for example), can provide a listener with perfectly acceptable fidelity for well under a hundred bucks total, which is pretty terrific IMHO. I haven't found them particularly prone to breakage, either.

It bears mentioning that I did out of curiosity try one of their regular, over the head models, though, and was distinctly UNimpressed, but their buds really do deserve consideration.

Jan 5, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by xandoze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, actually these buds (the "ink'd" at least, I think they're basically the same) are quite decent. They're much better than some $50 Sony Fonotopia buds that I bought a few years back, for example. I've found them usually priced at $15-$20 and even discounted down to $5 (Sam's), which is an amazing deal. You need to make sure to select the silicone surrounds that best fit your ear to get bass response (plus pretty good isolation), that's critical, and they provide 3 sizes for a good range.
Properly fitted, they're a little on the bright side, but highs and lows (the latter not exaggerated like my AKG K26Ps, which need EQ to sound correct) are all very much there. Sure I prefer the sound of my Grado SR60's, but they leak like a sieve, and of course are an entirely different beast.
I've been a bit of an audiophile for decades, and appreciate decent sound on a budget, too, and think these, coupled with an inexpensive MP3 player (one of those little "Sansa's" for example), can provide a listener with perfectly acceptable fidelity for well under a hundred bucks total, which is pretty terrific IMHO. I haven't found them particularly prone to breakage, either.

It bears mentioning that I did out of curiosity try one of their regular, over the head models, though, and was distinctly UNimpressed, but their buds really do deserve consideration.

They don't really stand up to the heavyweights in their pricerange.
Not even close to RE2s, NE6, pk3, any of the meelecs, and god, they can't touch KSC75s.

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrokid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and god, they can't touch KSC75s.

Exactly. Case in point right there. No matter how cheap you could get the Skullcandies for, the Koss are worth the extra ($15) expense, no question.

Just don't forget to Kramer-mod them ;D

Jan 5, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #40 of 40
I'm actually really curious what would happen if Skullcandy actually put out a good pair of headphones, that could possibly be a viable consideration for maybe in the $80 range. One really wonders if their name is so tarnished around here, that with a good set of cans out, would anyone here actually buy them as listening headphones? Personally, I'm starting to not like the brand because I think the name is some form of "corny". Don't know why, but I just wouldn't wear their stuff, even if it sounded good. I don't know, maybe some of you are indifferent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back