How are the M Audio av40s?
Feb 18, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonhapimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would that subwoofer do with the KRK G2r5s

It should be fine as long as the sub power isn't an order of magnitude higher than the speakers; just be careful to balance out the levels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daouda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dont mean to highjack the thread, but are they any good value active speakers just a tad bigger than AV40 that wouldnt ever need a subwoofer for most music genres?

The Audioengine A5's are probably the next step up. Either that or start looking at bigger monitors, but those start ramping up in price very quickly. Look into the next step up along M-Audio or the KRK Rokits.

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #17 of 42
You can also consider the price difference between the A5 and BX5a. For me it was at least $100 difference and I would easily take the BX5a and buy a subwoofer from craigslist around $100.

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #18 of 42
I have the smaller AV30's, and while a notch lower the AV40's, these are a pretty good pair! For $99 at Best Buy, they sure are great bang-for-buck desktop speakers. If the AV30's already have controlled bass, smooth mids and sparkling highs, I could imagine the AV40's will vastly improve on these qualities for just 30-40 bucks more.

Here is a pic with my AV30's. The 40's will be a bit bigger, but other than that cosmetic differences are minimal.

100_9218.JPG

Feb 19, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #19 of 42
What about a cheap but good synergy subwoofer for the AV40?
Im thinking about getting the AV40 since i travel(move) often, but would like the option to upgrade the sound with a sub without breaking the bank. I've heard about a cheap 8 inches tcp sub thats supposed to pair good with the AV40 but that TCP brand doesnt seem to be available in europe. Maybe i should start a thread about that.

EDIT
Quote:

You can also consider the price difference between the A5 and BX5a. For me it was at least $100 difference and I would easily take the BX5a and buy a subwoofer from craigslist around $100.

Would BX5a + subwoofer be so much better than AV40+subwoofer?

Feb 19, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Would BX5a + subwoofer be so much better than AV40+subwoofer?

BX5a by itself is already much better than AV40. I wish I never bought the AV40 in the first place after hearing the BX5a
wink.gif
. The tweeter on the BX5a is amazing

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #22 of 42
@Kite5 : I'm not a fan of bright sound and dont really need super-deep bass, do you think i could possiblbly like AV40 over Bx5a? Im looking at A5 but its much more expensive than bx5a here in France. Also, how bigger is BX5a over AV40? (im gonna go on a plane with these)

Feb 19, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

@Kite5 : I'm not a fan of bright sound and dont really need super-deep bass, do you think i could possiblbly like AV40 over Bx5a? Im looking at A5 but its much more expensive than bx5a here in France. Also, how bigger is BX5a over AV40? (im gonna go on a plane with these)

I think the AV40 will be fine for you. The BX5a is quite a bit heavier and bigger in general. The BX5a doesn't really have deep bass, it's a tad light in bass but the midrange and treble detail is a nice jump from the AV40

AV40
dimensions:8.75" (H) x 6" (W) x 7.25" (D)
weight:6.34 kg

BX5a
size:9.84"(H) x 6.92"(W) x 7.87"(D)
weight:5.0 kg per unit , (10.0kg pair)

Feb 19, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #24 of 42
Thank you so much... but ive just spent some time reading about the A5 (a lot from your posts) and it looks like they would be very much worth the extra money (and time to get it), size and weight... In particular many people say they dont need a subwoofer at all, and since i like smooth & mellow sound they would probably be much better for me than anything m-audio that have often been accused of harshness (by you also i think)...
Waddayathink? They still look small enough to be fairly transportable

EDIT: price is steep here though, 270euros shipped for a pair cheapest i found, looking for a better deal, or i would have to wait a looong time

Feb 19, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #25 of 42
I find with a lot of the active speakers in this price range that all the prices are fairly competitive and you get what you pay for. For me, my determining factor would mostly be my budget and what was available locally (or for reasonably cheap shipping).

I picked up my AV40 for $110 (used) and am quite happy with them. The guy that sold them to me upgraded to the A2 for $240 (plus tax + shipping). He likes their sound better, and described it as better base and staging, though less pronounced vocals compared to the AV40. I listened to some Rokit RP5s at a store and though they were a solid improvement over my AV40, but those also cost $400/pair which I'm not in the mood to spend.

Feb 19, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Thank you so much... but ive just spent some time reading about the A5 (a lot from your posts) and it looks like they would be very much worth the extra money (and time to get it), size and weight... In particular many people say they dont need a subwoofer at all, and since i like smooth & mellow sound they would probably be much better for me than anything m-audio that have often been accused of harshness (by you also i think)...
Waddayathink? They still look small enough to be fairly transportable

EDIT: price is steep here though, 300euros shipped for a pair cheapest i found, looking for a better deal, or i would have to wait a looong time

If you like a mellow sound then the A5 is for you. Are you planning on traveling with them when you say transportable?

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #27 of 42
Yes... Taking them on a plane with me. But travelling to move (and stay put for some time), not for trips. I have my JBL on tour for that kind of backpacking/hotel rooms use. I need something transportable because i move to different countries often.

@armaegis : do you really mean A2 or do you meant A5? Based on what i've read im surprised A2 would be an upgrade over AV40

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #28 of 42
I had the AV40s for a couple years and they're quite good for the price. They're fairly portable (considering) so they should be fine. I wouldn't really worry about the bass too much. It doesn't extend very deep (I remember it starting to taper off pretty fast around 70hz?) but it's likely better than you're imagining it to be. One of the problems with getting the BX5a (other than the weight and price) is the fact that that each speaker has it's own volume control on the backside of the speaker. They're meant to be after a preamp in the chain.

I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you get. I'm voting for the AV40.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

@armaegis : do you really mean A2 or do you meant A5? Based on what i've read im surprised A2 would be an upgrade over AV40

Yes, I meant the A2. I've never heard them myself, but even just looking at the specs they seem to have a little more meat to them than the AV40. They're about $100 more expensive though (at least in Canada they are).

Feb 20, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #30 of 42
I thought the bx5a's blew away the av40's in terms of sound quality. I'd say they're not even comparable because the bx5a is in a different class than av40's. The audioengines A2 and A5 sound very muddy compared to bx5a's or krk rp5's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back