How are the M Audio av40s?
Feb 16, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 42
I saw them on a local store the last month, from what i heard they offers strong bass, detailed highs and a balanced response.

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #4 of 42
I just picked up a set and think they are fantastic. Decent bass, but don't expect to go shaking the walls with 4" drivers. They are generally compared to the Audioengine A2's for the same sound quality and price (~$200), but you can find the AV40's for $120-130 if you shop around.

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #5 of 42
The midbass on the A2 is better, AV40's midbass sounds off to me but everything else the AV40 does better than the A2 by a good margin. I'd say the AV40 is a better value buy than the A2.

Feb 17, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 42
The AV40 are wonderful little speakers and can handle all kinds of music with aplomb (for their size & price).

However since you've added a subwoofer in the pot a question becomes obvious: aren't you better off buying a larger speaker in the first place?
e.g. the likes of Audioengine A5 or M-Audio Studiophile series (just to name a few)

Feb 17, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #8 of 42
How might the AV40s compare to something like the KRK Rokit 5?

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #10 of 42
BX5a Deluxe would be up there with KRK Rokit 5, both are quite an improvement over the AV40.

The Polk subwoofer doesn't have low level speaker outputs so you can't hook up active speakers to it. Another way to do it would be to buy a Y splitter for the source and just split the signal to the speakers and subwoofer but the speakers will still be producing frequencies already covered by the subwoofer so they'll overlap a little. You can try finding a subwoofer with built in crossover so that when you connect the speaker to the subwoofer, the speakers will not be producing frequencies the subwoofer would be. This will improve the midrange of the speakers and clarity in general.

This has low level RCA output
Parts-Express.com:*Dayton SUB-100 HT Series 10" 125 Watt Powered Subwoofer | BLACK09 subwoofer sub powered sub SUB-100 home theater 5.1 7.1 surround bass LFE Theaters110308 gifts1117 WinningSubwoofers dayHT162010

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BX5a Deluxe would be up there with KRK Rokit 5, both are quite an improvement over the AV40.

The Polk subwoofer doesn't have low level speaker outputs so you can't hook up active speakers to it. Another way to do it would be to buy a Y splitter for the source and just split the signal to the speakers and subwoofer but the speakers will still be producing frequencies already covered by the subwoofer so they'll overlap a little. You can try finding a subwoofer with built in crossover so that when you connect the speaker to the subwoofer, the speakers will not be producing frequencies the subwoofer would be. This will improve the midrange of the speakers and clarity in general.

This has low level RCA output
Parts-Express.com:*Dayton SUB-100 HT Series 10" 125 Watt Powered Subwoofer | BLACK09 subwoofer sub powered sub SUB-100 home theater 5.1 7.1 surround bass LFE Theaters110308 gifts1117 WinningSubwoofers dayHT162010

Hm do you know of any with the crossfeed feature? And if I got the Dayton how exactly would I hook it up with the Av40s? Sorry i'm new at this.

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #12 of 42
Sorry I meant crossover filter. I know only of that subwoofer, the other one would be the BX10 from M-Audio but it is very expensive. If you get the Dayton subwoofer, you would use a 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect your sound card to the subwoofer. You connect the speakers using RCA to RCA cable to the RCA out of the subwoofer

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry I meant crossover filter. I know only of that subwoofer, the other one would be the BX10 from M-Audio but it is very expensive. If you get the Dayton subwoofer, you would use a 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect your sound card to the subwoofer. You connect the speakers using RCA to RCA cable to the RCA out of the subwoofer

Ok nice. I'm kind of put off by this review on that sub though

Overpowered my bookshelfs.
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Darwin L. from California
I was referred to this sub to go with the M-Audio AV-40 bookshelfs I got for my computer, and wasn't satisfied with the results. This huge sub overpowered the small bookshelfs with hollow, boomy bass and I ended up coughing up the $60 to send it back. Instead of taking a risk with the SUB-80, I went for an 8-incher from TSC. I'm very pleased with my new sub and I can't say I'd recommend the SUB-100. Maybe in a home theatre setup with bigger speakers, but if you're looking to compliment your computer setup I'd say steer clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back