how are the denon ah-p372?
Apr 9, 2009 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

mugen3

100+ Head-Fier
hey all, i need some recommendations for some good closed portable headphones for my ipod and laptop. i'll be using them when i'm getting around on the bus/subway, at college, and at home with my family. i mostly listen to rock, r&b, and pop.

the only requirement of mine is that the headphones have tight, punchy bass, and, at least, a decent middle/upper range. not leaking sound is slightly more important than blocking outside noise. my budget is $50, but i would buy something that costs a bit more if it's worth it.

my friend has the akg k 81 dj; i think that they're pretty decent, and i find them comfortable enough to wear. but are there better, fuller sounding headphones out there? right now, i've got my eyes on the denon ah-p372. any thoughts about these? thoughts in comparison to the akg k 81 dj?

also, how about the audio technica ath-fc700a?

thanks in advance

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 20
I haven't tried them, but looking at Denon's track record, a nice deep bass is pretty much a guarantee with their products, so if you are looking for that in particular you'll definitely get it.

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #4 of 20
Deep bass, Denon?? I would associate Denon's with deep bass! The (my) P372's don't have what you would call the deepest bass.

You want deep bass for $50 the best 'deep bass' i've heard for the price/ever is the AKG K518/K81DJ headphones. Those really kick backside (pardon my French) and they're fairly open sounding headphones.

Amazon.com: Used and New: AKG Closed-Back Foldable DJ Headphones - K81DJ

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #5 of 20
i tried this a lot of times and i really like them. it has a nice, tight bass that's not muddy. i tried portapro and the K51DJ, and i should say for portable closed cheapo cans i definitely prefer the denon by miles. the K51DJ and portapro bass is ugly and bloated. for me, these sound a LOT like ES7s. like a poor man's ES7. i am very impressed.

always go and audition first, though.

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 20
conflicting opinions?
confused_face.gif
well, there was another thread with a few positive (albeit) impressions, so i'm leaning toward buying these. are they less comfortable than the k 81 dj?

also, sorry if i wasn't clear enough, but it seems like you guys think that i only care about bass
bigsmile_face.gif
. it's just a requirement for the headphones; i still care about the middle/upper range.

dangermouse, why were they creaking? did anyone else have that problem?

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 20
the mechanism that makes the drivers fold up was making the creaking noise, it might be sorted out with some fiddling and wd 40 but it depends if you want to try that (probably voids the warranty). If you can try them in a shop, or get a good returns policy then id recommend giving them a go.

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 20
and they creak only when you move? i guess i wouldn't find that as too big of an issue, i mostly listen to music when i'm still. thanks for the heads-up.

any more input guys?

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #14 of 20

You'll have to excuse me... got to bed at 4:00 am!

Here's a comparison. From left to right: c-jays, PX100, iGrado, P372, HFI-15G (the most comfortable headphones I have) and iCans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back