How are dynamic drivers so...dynamic?
Nov 27, 2015 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AndroidVageta

500+ Head-Fier
Seriously...listening to my dynamic driver earbuds right now and they sound just as good if not better than any armature, multi-BA, or hybrid I've heard.

Making me think...how do they do it? Looking at speakers they have seperate tweeters, mid, and low speakers. Same with multi-BA IEM's.

So how do single small little speakers in my ears produce such rich, full, colorful sound with excellent highs, mids, and sub-like bass?

I guess what I'm asking is how does one part of the sound (like bass lets say) not overpower the other sound? Some of the best sound I've heard is dynamic (my E100's, EX-1000's, HD800, etc) but yet I've never heard a fullrange speaker sound nearly as good.

I don't know, just seems so weird to me. Thoughts?

Also, as an aside, why are there no super expensive super high-end dynamic IEM's? They all seem to be BA based and I don't understand why? Is it a marketing thing? I owned a ton and never saw what was so special really...at least never heard any that genuinely blow my current buds or EX-1K away.

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #2 of 3
Seriously...listening to my dynamic driver earbuds right now and they sound just as good if not better than any armature, multi-BA, or hybrid I've heard.

Making me think...how do they do it? Looking at speakers they have seperate tweeters, mid, and low speakers. Same with multi-BA IEM's.

So how do single small little speakers in my ears produce such rich, full, colorful sound with excellent highs, mids, and sub-like bass?

I guess what I'm asking is how does one part of the sound (like bass lets say) not overpower the other sound? Some of the best sound I've heard is dynamic (my E100's, EX-1000's, HD800, etc) but yet I've never heard a fullrange speaker sound nearly as good.

I don't know, just seems so weird to me. Thoughts?

Also, as an aside, why are there no super expensive super high-end dynamic IEM's? They all seem to be BA based and I don't understand why? Is it a marketing thing? I owned a ton and never saw what was so special really...at least never heard any that genuinely blow my current buds or EX-1K away.

There's IE800 and T8ie (super expensive and super high end pure dynamic).
I'm in the camp who thinks the BA fad is indeed marketing. It's what's considered "hot" right now, thus, its where the money is.
Earphone dynamic diaphragms are small, thus light, thus easy to control its motion than full range speaker diaphragms. It also probably helps that earphones situate closer to the eardrums, thus sound energy gets transferred more effectively than speakers a few feet away.

Nov 27, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 3
Because IEM drivers are smaller and lighter than speaker tweeters. Some dynamics will be better than BAs and vice versa. With dynamics, it's more about lack of distortion, control and linearity. The linearity part is more difficult than you may think in an in ear because flat free air response doesn't sound flat in ear. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back