How and Why I Ended Up With RS-1’s (Long)
Apr 22, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #16 of 38
Thanks Biggie, now you got me really interested in Grado RS-1. My poor wallet
frown.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #17 of 38
It's nice to hear that you came to your conclusions through a longer term, thoughtful comparison, and not knee jerk impressions through a 10 minute audition at a meet. Not everyone has this luxury, but it makes the decision easier to justify to one's self. (but not always to one's wallet.
biggrin.gif
)

-Ed

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #18 of 38
Really enjoyable post. I really liked it. Having heard your system (Atleast a year ago) I am able to perform the auditory version of visualization as I read. Great post. You have a knack for writing as well. Regarding Omega II's... <strokes his preciousssssss> I still can't believe I genuinely like a pair of electrostatics!
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #19 of 38
To add to the chorus, great post. I find posts like these (of which there are woefully very few) much more interesting and much more useful than your typical headphone review. Most of the reviews here try to take an objective stance -- "Headphone X is better than Y. Better bass/treble/midrange/etc." -- when in reality, headphones and headphone preference is an extremely personal thing that cannot be separated from personal taste and the way you want things to sound. So instead of saying "headphone X sucks," you say "headphone X didn't do it for me because I want this instead of that." Very nice. I can't wait to hear your setup in a couple months.
smily_headphones1.gif

- Chris

Apr 22, 2004 at 6:29 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevorNetwork
Really enjoyable post. I really liked it. Having heard your system (Atleast a year ago) I am able to perform the auditory version of visualization as I read.

Well since then my system has become more neutral, detailed and focused. Also the bass has been tightened up a nice amount. What I gave up was a very black background and bass quantity. I loved that version of my setup too and thought I was done but then I found a way to get better cymbal reproduction hehe...

I hope the omegas work out for you. ^^

Biggie.

Apr 22, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #21 of 38
Good read. Insightful and inspiring!

Apr 22, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #22 of 38
That was a very insightfull review of the RS1s and your journey to sonic nivirna.
I have owned the rs1s way before HeadFi was around and I must say they are a foot tapping headphone no doubt,they do love tubes.
They where my headphone of choice when listening to the Singlepower
line of amps in my home.
Great job Biggie :
rs1smile.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #23 of 38
That was some nice reading material, i read the whole thing without getting bored, I liked your analysis and how your constant tweaking for your preferance.

Apr 23, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #25 of 38
Ooops! What was written here was supposed to have been written by Dan the Audioman!

Apr 23, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #26 of 38
Oooops!

I accidentally posted with my brother's username! Heres what I wrote:

Quote:

Nice post Biggie! Im going through a similar situation.

The rs-1s truly are sweet headphones. I know how you feel when you prefer them to the much-respected hp-2s. With the rs-1s you just "groove" more! I am split between the senn 650's and the rs-1s...ahh what to do? Hopefully the upcoming massive Chicago meet will help!
smily_headphones1.gif

Regards,
Dan

Apr 23, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #27 of 38
Great read... and would make a wonderful headfier's movie.

I can see the poster now, the shadow of a little guy on a path, looking up at a huge pair of Rs-1's. The slogan would be something like "One man's quest for Audio bliss"

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
"One man's quest for Audio bliss"

smily_headphones1.gif

HEADPHILE - the movie.
One man's quest for Audio bliss.

"Share the passion, the tears and the joy as he travels through audioland on his journey of exploration and self discovery."

Movie contains nudity, drug use, sex scences and coarse language.

One of the best headphone films of the year. 4 stars.

Apr 23, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
HEADPHILE - the movie.
Movie contains nudity, drug use, sex scences and coarse language.

And that's just Tuberoller's contribution to the movie.
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 1:42 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
Thanks for the good read. Could you tell me more about the Teac and the mods? Please be specific.

The teac is a vrds-9. It uses 4 b.b. 1702 20-bit dacs. The whole analogue stage has been replaced by 4 parts, the main part being a transformer. Thats all I know. :p

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back