How Accurate Will My Sound Actually Be?
Apr 12, 2014 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

EVOLVIST

500+ Head-Fier
Hello Team Think-Tank,

I've been lurking for a couple of years, on and off, but you know, as it goes, sometimes there's more confusion with all of the products out there than there are actual products!

So, bypassing all of the glitz and glamor, I've got my little rig working off of my PC.  It's very simple.  USB to an Aune T1 with the stock 6922EH valve/tube in socket (I also have a mint Amperex 7308 JAN Orange label tube which I'm not too fond of)...then with my cans I'm going straight out of Aune T1 to my Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro 80ohm cans.

Now, as far as the original sound of my recordings (right now I'm listening to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue SACD rip) how accurate of a sound do you think I'm getting here?

Note - I listen to everything with a flat EQ, whether I've got Winamp going or Foobar2000.  Also note, I've got a pair of Senn HD 800s on order, because I know my Beyers are a bit too bass heavy.

I listen to everything from Beastie Boys to Classical, Beatles to Radiohead.

Pardon my naivety, but it seems as that since I'm getting a direct feed from my computer to a DAC that has many components as some of your higher end DACs, that it should be pretty accurate, right?  Or am I deluding myself?

Thanks!  

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 3
A good solid state amp will be more accurate than the Aune T1. After all, that's the purpose of tube amps, to add pleasant distortion to the audio signal.

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 3
Flat EQ simply means that you are hearing the frequency response of your headphones. If the headphones themselves aren't completely accurate (and they usually aren't), then some targeted EQ adjustments could make the sound more accurate. 

That said, I'm not sure if I understand the point of your question. No audio setup is going to be perfectly accurate. Some will be more accurate than others, sure, but IMO the more important (and practical) goal is getting a sound that you enjoy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back