How about the Koss MV1??
Jul 17, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #17 of 31
No, they seem to have settled into what they are. This is not the most neutral sounding headphone ever created. But it's got an interesting sound, LOTS of bass, and enough treble to satisfy many listeners.

I am still troubled by the mids, however. They are much more colored than a lot of similarly priced headphones. The coloration can sound pretty on some material, but it doesn't on others. It's not like the mids are just "forward" or "recessed", either, they are even weirder than that.

Jul 17, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #19 of 31
The mids sound like they have a lot of peaks and valleys in their response.

Oct 29, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #20 of 31
Haha, I was just going through all the threads I started and saw this one with a fairly recent last response. I can't even remember posting this!
But uhmm, thanx Skylab for your impressions though
redface.gif

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #22 of 31
IMO, the Beyer is far, far superior in every way.

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #24 of 31
Hi all,

I just got this can from skylab.
I would say it is a very nice can for what it cost (even in original price)~
I just got it today and been listen to it for about 3 hours, I don't think I have enough impression to give any review, yet.
I can show you guys some picture though. I believe most of you guys are tired about those few official pictures.
Here we go:

I am very surprised by how the box look. It look really nice as if it is a really high end headphone.
I couldn't resist but took a lot of pictures on the box...
KOSSMV105.jpg

KOSSMV107.jpg

KOSSMV108.jpg

After open the box, a strange black item came out...
KOSSMV110.jpg

Skylab has really kept everything nice and clean, I would think this is new I didn't already knew it is used.
KOSSMV111.jpg

And here is a well made box/pouch come along with MV1. Nice quality.
KOSSMV112.jpg

KOSSMV113.jpg

Such a beautiful can. One of the best looking can around.
KOSSMV114.jpg

I would feel worth it already just by looking at it, even if the sound isn't going to be good...
KOSSMV115.jpg

KOSSMV116.jpg

KOSSMV117.jpg

See those bra like thing that support the can, Very thoughtful.
KOSSMV118.jpg

This is where fit on your ears.
KOSSMV119.jpg

KOSSMV120.jpg

KOSSMV121.jpg

The connector is mini, and it come with a large adapter.
KOSSMV128.jpg

Head size adjuster, it look extremely nice!
The maximum is to 8, I feel comfortable at 5 to 6.
KOSSMV122.jpg

KOSSMV129.jpg

Compare with AKG K501, MV1 is not that big in size. It is very heavy though!
KOSSMV130.jpg

MV1 is very flexible, it can be twist around like these:
Most of my large cans are not able to do these...
KOSSMV123.jpg

KOSSMV124.jpg

KOSSMV126.jpg

KOSSMV127.jpg

KOSS MV1:
KOSSMV131.jpg

I agreed on how Skylab said this headphone is colored, but I think it colored in good way. At least after so many hours Skylab has burned in. The high is good, high enough without hurting your ears. Bass is powerful, but not enough extended and not soft enough. For pop and hi hop is not bad. Not so much for classic. (but I only have X5L for now, will update when I receive my new amp) One thing I feel kind of weired, the dynamic is pretty fast when listen to guitar solo, but it is then noticeably slow when listen to Choir kind of vocal music. Never have this kind of experience. Hopefully Skylab can add some more inputs.
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #25 of 31
Nice pics! And I think you have described the MV1 accurately. Strange headphone.

Feb 14, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #26 of 31
I wanted to ask a few questions about MV1. To outline my position, my main headphones are Koss Porta Pro used mainly with iPod Nano 3rd Gen (or Sony Portable MiniDisc Recorder)
I really like my Porta Pro and since I own them for more than 10 years I built up a little "thing" for Koss as a brand (appreciate their lifetime warranty).

I want to get MV1 for listening to music as well as maybe some monitoring while playing with my band or just playing drums simultaneously with some music on...

Wasn't really planning on buying any amp - that's where my question goes - MV1s are 250 ohm cans, is there anyway you can use them without an amp? I don't really understand the whole concept - I know that sensitivity is important as well... but could someone please clarify this to me?

Thank you and sorry for little off topic here...

PS: I am also aware of the fact that these are not the best cans to use for playing drums, I see them as my entry cans to the audiophile world
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #27 of 31
Impedance is what inhibits current. A headphone driver with a high impedance will be placing less current demand on the source powering it, but for this reason sources like the iPod simply do not have enough gain/drive capability to achieve decent volume with this kind of headphone. This doesn't necessary mean the headphone is an easy load, it just means it needs voltage and not current. If two headphones have the same sensitivity the one with lower impedance will play louder given the same input volume because it is asking for more current from the source.

Different amp designs deal with these types of loads differently, which is why you'll hear so much talk of "synergy" between amps and headphones. The idea is to find one that excels at delivering what that specific headphones needs.

That's the best I can explain it anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif
Perhaps others could chime in as well. The MV1 itself seems like a decent headphone. It has strong bass and very laid back treble if that sort of thing appeals to you.

Feb 14, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #28 of 31
I cannot imagine using the MV-1 without an amp.

Feb 15, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #29 of 31
ok thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Skylab, what amp did you use MV1 with? And you udeupa?

When I am back in Europe in two months I might probably get Meier Headsix or 2Move (think my laptop would deserve better DAC then the integrated one)

That would do the job, wouldnt it?

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #30 of 31
Hi,

When I got MV1 from Skylab, I just sold all of my amp. So I only have X5L when I got MV1. X5L is powerful enough to drive MV1, but I would say it is not good enough to drive it well. Could drive and drive it well is two different things.

I just got Cantate could days ago, but I haven't use it with MV1 yet. I will talk about more when later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back