How about the AD8510 / AD8512 ...
Jul 6, 2006 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Andrea

Banned - aka HeavySoul - aka inconnu - aka Albert - aka layman - aka joe_average - aka altglos - aka Mr boobi - aka mikesand - aka blindbuy - aka The Well - aka yummy-fi
in an unbuffered headphone amp?

The specifications say: 70 mA linear output current, FET input, 8 MHz, 20 V/us (& 0.0005% THD+N although not on a headphone load of course
smily_headphones1.gif
).

It looks perfect for the application, all the more so when it should drive a 300 ohm headphone like in my case.

Does anyone have some experience with these chips? Thanks for sharing

Jul 6, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #3 of 13
ppl, thank you! I read through that thread and as a result I think I'll drop the idea
smily_headphones1.gif
I've other op-amps at hand, which are likely better for my purpose.

One of them being the LT1363 / LT1364. My only concern with this chip (besides it not being FET, which I can deal with) is that high frequency peaking, especially with capacitive loads. My (incoming) amp has a resistor (don't know what value, perhaps 33 or 47 ohm) to isolate the load, but still I'm unsure if that can lead to instability. Oh, and there are tantalum bypass caps on each power rail which should help.

Jul 7, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 13
Aparently yes, since that (LM7171) is just what the Creek OBH21 and OBH21SE amps have inside (one per channel, without buffers).

But some pretty special care is required to tame the DC offset at the output, besides careful power supply bypassing & board layout due to the chip's very high speed. With a 10 uA input bias current, I doubt that simply balancing the impedances on both inputs of the op-amp can suffice
frown.gif

As for my particular purpose, the LM6172 is more likely to work OK.

Jul 7, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #6 of 13
The 6172s are great.. 7171s are a beast.. they'll oscillate like hell and cause all sorts of issues unless the circuit is designed for high speed opamps..

Also - Andrew, enjoy the 6172s, they have a kind of warm yet authoritative sound sig that I like more than any of my other opamps..

Jul 7, 2006 at 10:22 AM Post #7 of 13
Mmmm... ATAT, thanks for the encouragement!
smily_headphones1.gif
But I don't have the 6172 right now. I must order a few samples, which will cost me $10. I think I'll first give the LT1364 a try. I liked the LT1361 (the less powerful brother) a lot before. Oh, and I'm also curious to hear the AD45048.

Jul 7, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
One of them being the LT1363 / LT1364. My only concern with this chip (besides it not being FET, which I can deal with) is that high frequency peaking, especially with capacitive loads. My (incoming) amp has a resistor (don't know what value, perhaps 33 or 47 ohm) to isolate the load, but still I'm unsure if that can lead to instability. Oh, and there are tantalum bypass caps on each power rail which should help.

bump...

Jul 8, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #9 of 13
buump...

Jul 9, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #10 of 13
buumpp...

Jul 9, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #11 of 13
So much bumping
biggrin.gif
Since I'm not as convincing as the engineers at LT, i'll just quote the datasheet =p

Quote:

Capacitive Loading
The LT1364/LT1365 are stable with any capacitive load.
This is accomplished by sensing the load induced output
pole and adding compensation at the amplifier gain node.
As the capacitive load increases, both the bandwidth and
phase margin decrease so there will be peaking in the
frequency domain and in the transient response as shown
in the typical performance curves. The photo of the small
signal response with 200pF load shows 62% peaking. The
large signal response shows the output slew rate being
limited to 10V/ms by the short-circuit current. Coaxial
cable can be driven directly, but for best pulse fidelity a
resistor of value equal to the characteristic impedance of
the cable (i.e., 75W) should be placed in series with the
output. The other end of the cable should be terminated
with the same value resistor to ground.

Basically, your opamp will be stable at any capacitative loading because of the compesatnion at the gain.. this means you can load it however the hell you want. THe only problem is the "high freq peaking" as you say, but this wont change stability, it'll just magnify the FR above 1MHZ, this *might* magnify the RF noise injected into your system, so you could make a low pass filter with a -3 db point at 8 Mhz or so.

Of course this doesnt fix overshoot, which is another problem, but I have no clue how you would solve that one.

Basically it'll work, but you'll have to see how the RF noise / overshoot sounds

Jul 9, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #12 of 13
Great answer, thanks.

Yeah, overshoot looks a bit of an issue with the LT1364. Less so with the LT1361. Then again, it looks so even with the AD8397. Perhaps I'll order that LM6172
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #13 of 13
In fact there are other op-amps I'll try first: (2x) OPA551/552, AD8397/45048, (2x) AD8655. Just for the record, the amp will be the Practical Devices XM3. The designer himself (I think?) replied to my inquiry that bipolar input chips like the AD8397 and LT1361 will work OK in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back