How about AKG K701 VS DT990
May 3, 2007 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

freakmax

500+ Head-Fier
I'm about to get a new headphone.
My choices are AKG K701 and DT990 ( I'm not sure which version it is but it looks like the one in the photo. ).
I can find 2nd hand DT990 for about $200 and a brand new K701 $400.
Which one is better in SQ?
I listen to Rock , Pop , Jazz and some Classical.
I will pair it with my Heed Canamp.
wink.gif

May 3, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 21
For the genres you primarily listen to I would recommend the Beyers. I'm a big fan of the K701s and if classical was my primary genre I would've kept them. I can see myself maybe getting another pair sometime down the line but I sold them to fund another purchase.

The 990s have a similar level of detail as the AKGs but have more of a bass presence and bring a bit more fun to the party. They don't have the soundstage that the K701s have but not many cans in their price range do. I find the 990s to be a very versatile headphone and very comfortable to boot.

May 3, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 21
In the pic above, is it the DT990 2005 version?
I know it's 250 ohm.
Is it the best dt990 version? (except 600 ohm version)

For sound stage, Dt990 is better than the MS-Pro ,am I right?

May 3, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakmax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the pic above, is it the DT990 2005 version?
I know it's 250 ohm.
Is it the best dt990 version? (except 600 ohm version)

Yes, that picture is of the 2005 DT990. The older 2003 model had black, grilled cups.

The newer DT990 is supposed to improve significantly on the old model, most notably in the mids. (Note this is from what I've read here; I have never heard the prior revision.)

May 3, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 21
Your source will determine soundstage, whereas the k701 has the greater potential, these Beyers are only slightly less so and nearly indistinguishable in their ability at wide soundstaging when scaling up.

Of course both are highly resolving instruments which will present the qualitys(both good & bad) of the material played revealing the quality of the source used.

Between these two, the k701 is the more forgiving of less than "better" sources and the material recorded.

For this reason the 990s are difficult to recommend, due to associated gears and material commonly used by all to many, myself included until recently when I upgraded my source. With lesser or average sources they can present (due to their extended high freq extention) unflattering treble overly excieted. This is also true of the K701s albeit less so, and therefore somewhat more tolerant of average sources.IME

The 990s are less of a referance headphone but they are highly detailed in their mids, with the better bass response and the more "Fun" choice, which scales up extreamly well.

With the choice you are deciding upon based upon application & cost valuation, I would recommend the $200 DT-990s('05e) and put the other 200- 250 into a DAC to match with our HEED... That would be an exceptional way to build your system IMO!

Perhaps the iPod you reflected in your profile, might roll off the high frequencys fed your Heed and then the 990s and it may very well serve as a good source in that regard in that system... However, only by testing would you know how well a particular CDP would match these revealing instruments.

The safer choice between these two exceptional headphones would be the k701s as they are relatively less bright although highly detailed, more neutral, mellow and relatively warm in their relaxed presentation and are therefore my referance headphone. With less of an excietable treble although, which also will reveal sins of the sources it is fed, while having a more polite lower frequency (bass) presentation, they could be said to be the safer choice.

They both can do Classic Rock although, I prefer my 990s with this gerere, equally well the other generes you propose, with the preferance to the k701 for Classical, and both do match nicely to the Heed CanAmp...

Hope this helps in your decisions,
Good luck~

May 3, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 21
Aah, well d*mn it took you, what, 1 or 2 sentences to say that?
tongue.gif

(kiddin', Hi-finthen!! You know I'm your pal!
wink.gif
)

btw, you have a pretty decent PC spec, seems like a nice gaming machine!

May 3, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 21
Get 'em both, burn 'em in, compare them, and sell the ones you don't like.
Thats what I am doing.

May 3, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 21
The K701 does your genres well if you are just plain running them through a weak source. With a good amp the DT990's can shine.

May 3, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701 does your genres well if you are just plain running them through a weak source. With a good amp the DT990's can shine.

so, are you saying that they are better than a k701 with better equipment?

May 3, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #15 of 21
Hmmm.. that's something to consider!
wink.gif
Speaking of which the UPS man dropped off me DT990s today! Now, how can I leave work early so I can go home and start the burn in!!?!!!?!
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back