Houston Head-Fi Meet #2 on October 17
Aug 19, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #31 of 201
All I have right now is sr225s and a DAC from hotaudio, but I would love to come and will most likely have some different equipment by then. I don't know what the philosophy towards this is, but it would be great to hear some other type of headphones.

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #32 of 201
jnewman and Qonmus: You are both very welcome to come with whatever you feel like bringing. Stay tuned to this thread and we will have more details as the date gets closer.

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #33 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@kydsid: Will be good to see you again. Hopefully there won't be any DAC issues this time.
wink_face.gif

Maybe. Seeing as how I also had trouble at the Dallas meet with my amp I don't know. But so not as to anger the audio gods I will say both instances had a good outcome nevertheless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome! I can't wait to see which of my neighbors gets hacked for Internet access this year.
wink.gif
:

I have no idea what you are talking about.
tongue_smile.gif

But I may not even bring my laptop this year as it has a cracked monitor. We shall see.

Lastly Ken PM me your addy to pay up. I would actually prefer to send you a money order but that is because PP managed to really screw me recently. Long story tell you at the meet. But if you really want it via PP that is fine I'll suck it up.
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #34 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jnewman and Qonmus: You are both very welcome to come with whatever you feel like bringing. Stay tuned to this thread and we will have more details as the date gets closer.

Defintely! Heck, I don't even think our fearless leader Ken had a proper amp last year (well, he did have some nice "loaner" amps from Woo Audio though). A meet is a great place to hear a lot of gear (most of which you cannot try in stores). A word of caution though: attending a meet may cause you to spend lots of money afterwards!
tongue.gif

For those attending a meet for the first time, please just make sure to considerate of others' gear. There will be some very expensive gear there and some amps may require special care (like turning down volume before switching headphones and always having a pair of headphones plugged in). We will have more about meet etiquette as the time nears.

I, for one, don't want to be the one with an amp on fire this time.
tongue_smile.gif

Ken and others: I have a Palm Pre that can be used as a "wireless router" (using Sprint's 3G network). I have used it at the airport and it works pretty well. So, if someone wants to bring a computer/laptop, we will have legal wireless.

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #35 of 201
Quote:

Defintely! Heck, I don't even think our fearless leader Ken had a proper amp last year (well, he did have some nice "loaner" amps from Woo Audio though). A meet is a great place to hear a lot of gear (most of which you cannot try in stores). A word of caution though: attending a meet may cause you to spend lots of money afterwards!
tongue.gif

For those attending a meet for the first time, please just make sure to considerate of others' gear. There will be some very expensive gear there and some amps may require special care (like turning down volume before switching headphones and always having a pair of headphones plugged in). We will have more about meet etiquette as the time nears.

tongue_smile.gif

Ken and others: I have a Palm Pre that can be used as a "wireless router" (using Sprint's 3G network). I have used it at the airport and it works pretty well. So, if someone wants to bring a computer/laptop, we will have legal wireless.

I will definitely be mindful of that. . .I certainly do my best to treat other people's things respectfully.

And the way I see it, I'm going to be spending a lot of money anyways -- it would be best to be able to make informed decisions.

subscribed to this thread, I will keep checking back. Happy to supply funds whenever necessary.

Aug 20, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #36 of 201
Quote:

tongue_smile.gif

Aww, come on... where's your spirit of adventure?
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #37 of 201
I also am quite careful with other people's things - I may not be aware of special requirements of individual pieces of equipment though, so best let me know or keep an eye on me.
smily_headphones1.gif

I noticed earlier in the thread that at least one very nice turntable is going to be there - most of my vinyl is old, bought used, and not in perfect shape, but I do have a hell of a pressing of "Dark Side of the Moon" that I'll bring if anyone is interested or will let me use their turntable for a bit
smily_headphones1.gif
. It's a 30th anniversary remaster on very heavy vinyl and is by a wide margin the best sounding record I own.

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #38 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qonmus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will definitely be mindful of that. . .I certainly do my best to treat other people's things respectfully.

And the way I see it, I'm going to be spending a lot of money anyways -- it would be best to be able to make informed decisions.

subscribed to this thread, I will keep checking back. Happy to supply funds whenever necessary.

If you want to spend money, a meet is a great place to try things out!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also am quite careful with other people's things - I may not be aware of special requirements of individual pieces of equipment though, so best let me know or keep an eye on me.
smily_headphones1.gif

I noticed earlier in the thread that at least one very nice turntable is going to be there - most of my vinyl is old, bought used, and not in perfect shape, but I do have a hell of a pressing of "Dark Side of the Moon" that I'll bring if anyone is interested or will let me use their turntable for a bit
smily_headphones1.gif
. It's a 30th anniversary remaster on very heavy vinyl and is by a wide margin the best sounding record I own.

If there are any special requests, there will be a probably a sign in front of the equipment listing the requests so you won't have to guess.
tongue.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #39 of 201
If we have some sort of wireless router capability, I can bring my Squeezebox & DAC. I have a Rhapsody subscription and would be glad to demo how good it sounds through the Squeezebox.

I also just acquired a Stax SRS2050II combo, which I can bring.

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #40 of 201
jnewman

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

I will be happy to play your pressing of "Dark Side of the Moon" on my tweeked Music Hall MMF 5 turntable. If anyone else has choice vinyl that they would like to hear, bring it. My collection consists of Classical and Jazz.

Michael
atsmile.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #41 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by MJM58 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jnewman

I will be happy to play your pressing of "Dark Side of the Moon" on my tweeked Music Hall MMF 5 turntable. If anyone else has choice vinyl that they would like to hear, bring it. My collection consists of Classical and Jazz.

Michael
atsmile.gif

Great, thank you! I actually have been looking at the Music Hall turntables with thinly-disguised lust for quite a while. This may push me into buying one.
smily_headphones1.gif

As a side note, for those who may be interested - I finished my prototype AMB Y2 DAC today. It sounds great through both USB and S/PDIF while being quite small and reasonably priced to build. I will definitely be bringing it along. The Y2 DAC also includes a complete Y1 DAC (which is used mainly for its power supply and USB-to-S/PDIF conversion) so if anyone is interested in the Y1 DAC they can listen to it as well.

Aug 28, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #42 of 201
@kh6idf: Great, I am always up for listening to stats.

As for the Wifi for streaming music, I would not count on it. There is no real wifi in the building. I can use "mytether" on my Palm Pre to setup a wireless network but I don't know if this would really be such a great idea for streaming music (plus my phone would probably get pretty hot if I used it for an extended period of time as a "wifi router").

Nevertheless, you can bring it and hope that one of the neighbors doesn't know how to put a password on their router.

Aug 28, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #43 of 201
When I bought my Stax 303 from Joel early this year, I learned there was not a K1000 in your last meet. I will bring mine this time but I need to find out if someone may have an adequate amp available.

Ken, how do we pay that fee to you in advance?

Aug 28, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #44 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzychu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I bought my Stax 303 from Joel early this year, I learned there was not a K1000 in your last meet. I will bring mine this time but I need to find out if someone may have an adequate amp available.

Ken, how do we pay that fee to you in advance?

Yeah, I would love to try out the K1000.

I think Steve has a K1000/balanced B22 if he makes it there (he did not have the K1000 last year). I have a WA5-LE which might be able to drive the K1000 but I have never tried (usually people get the WA5 non-LE version if they have a K1000). What termination does your K1000 have? 4pin XLR?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back