Housemate going to China for a few weeks. Any stuff I should ask him to bring back?
Oct 22, 2008 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

PITTM

500+ Head-Fier
My housemate is a hardware engineer for apple and is doing some development stuff over there. He is in DongGuan, near shenzhen. He asked me if I wanted anything brought back and I couldnt think of anything. He just got there today and asked again. I kinda remembered the darkvoice amps being made there and maybe some other stuff. Is there anything cool I should have him bring back? I really dont know what is available. My interests are pretty much: music, soccer, computers, xbox360, etc. Thanks.

Oct 22, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 23
Housemate? Is that what they call each other now?

It's ok to be open you know.

Oct 23, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 23
There are lots of fake sunglasses(oakly etc..), watches(rolex etc....), jackets(north face etc...), videogames, movies, music.

Oct 23, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 23
I don't know where I saw it but this magazine (National Geographic?) where it showed a bunch of TIGHTLY packed building clusters, and they were of ugly colors, and they seemed to be a billion stories tall, and those were actually apartments! I don't know how so many people manage to live like that, it's like they're only...

...Oh wait, I just saw where I'm going with this.

Oct 23, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 23
mail order bride

Oct 23, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mail order bride

Does he want to be like Gordan in Dodgeball?

Oct 23, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #8 of 23
bring some girls back

EDIT
redface.gif
nly if he's going to Shanghai though. they have very nice girls
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bring some girls back

EDIT
redface.gif
nly if he's going to Shanghai though. they have very nice girls
wink.gif

x2
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #11 of 23
Lots and lots of pirated goods and knockoffs are readily available, so if you're into that I'd recommend asking him to get you some.

Also, a brick from the great wall would be nice if be was anywhere near there.

Oct 23, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #13 of 23
From what I vaguely remember, don't pirated/imitated goods get confiscated when border guys find out down in the states? my friend got his visa revoked (he was an exchange student living in SF) when he tried to enter US with bunch of fake wallets etc - too bad for him, but he should've known better.

Oct 23, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Big Poppa, no personal orders!

Tell your roommate anything with tubes and preferably a headphone jack.

Two F---ing Funny. "No personal orders"? Maybe it was a gift for a buddy? Take 2 please, stocking stuffers. The gift that keeps on giving?
wink_face.gif

Oct 23, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #15 of 23
Maybe he can pick up a nice pair of Yuin PK1 ear buds or other Yuin gear. There are a couple cool shortwave radio's that are made in China (Red Sun) that might be interesting (if you dig shortwave). My wife brought me back a fatback Buddha (I wish she had brought me back an Olympic hat too--she got some for the neighbours), a few CD's, a couple pirated dvds (that only play on Disney dvd players...hmmmmmm), and a scroll painting when she went to China (a year before the Olympics). Didn't know about Yuin products then.

A friend broght me back a cigarette lighter with Chariman Mao's portrait on it. When I open it, it plays "The East is Red." Very chic.

My wife did bring back a book on traditional Chinese medicine. So far we haven't discovered the cure for the common cold.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back