"Hottest" mastered song you own?
May 24, 2007 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Redo

Headphoneus Supremus
Loading up my music collection in MediaMonkey, I sorted by bitrate. Seeing as my entire music collection is in FLAC, the higher the bitrate, the hotter the album is (or is a very close estimation).

And the "Hottest" mastered song in my collection is... *drum roll*

Red Hot Chili Peppers (Greatest Hits 2003) - Give It Away

Encoded with Flac 1.1.4b, -V 5, FLAC could only compress this song from 1411kbps down to 1206kbps. OUCH!

The coolest song falls to Led Zeppelin, from their Box set, the Coda album. White Summer - Black Mountain, this comes in at a bitrate of 364kbps.

May 24, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 21
Another (and IMO more accurate) way of finding out the hotness of your songs is by viewing the waveform in Audacity.

Hottest in my collection would probably be the infamous Californication.

Give It Away shouldn't be hot, unless the Greatest Hits Version is drastically different to the original BSSM release- the BSSM version I've got has fantastic dynamic range (the VU readings don't go above -15 IIRC).

EDIT: Ah, you don't actually mean the hotness of the song, you mean amount of compression FLAC can apply to it... My bad!

May 24, 2007 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 21
well my highest lossless bitrate is 5943 kbps...
biggrin.gif

but my highest bitrate @ 16/44.1 is 1172 kbps. Dragonforce - "Black Winter Night" (Valley Of The Damned [2003])

Oh and lowest is Koji Kondo - Yoshi's Cookie - "Game Over" (Famicom Sound History Series ~ Mario the Music [2004]) 145 kbps 0:05

May 24, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by aural-matters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another (and IMO more accurate) way of finding out the hotness of your songs is by viewing the waveform in Audacity.

Hottest in my collection would probably be the infamous Californication.

EDIT: Give It Away shouldn't be hot, unless the Greatest Hits Version is drastically different to the original BSSM release- the BSSM version I've got has fantastic dynamic range (the VU readings don't go above -15 IIRC).

Though I don't own the original release of Give It Away, my guess is it isn't mastered overly hot at all. I don't know when it came out, but I do know it was before the loudness war hit the modern form it's in today. The Greatest Hits CD I own was released in 2003.

As for using Audacity, I have plenty of music where the waveform is just packed to the max. The FLAC compression ratios are a bit easier for me to distinguish. Plus I'm not going to manually open all my music in Audacity.

And technically, the highest FLAC bitrate file I have is 3036kbps. But I'm not counting my Vinyl rips
wink.gif

May 24, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh and lowest is Koji Kondo - Yoshi's Cookie - "Game Over" (Famicom Sound History Series ~ Mario the Music [2004]) 145 kbps 0:05

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Is that a mono track?

May 24, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #7 of 21
I'm not sure of the technicalities, but from my ear, I'd have to say that Pompeii Am Gotterdammerung (an otherwise excellent song) by the Flaming Lips is the single hottest piece of music I've ever heard.

Amy Winehouse's Back to Black is also atrociously hot.

May 24, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #9 of 21
In regards to clipping "hotness", I would have to say the self-titled Audioslave album. Far to clippy even by todays sub par standards. I havn't looked at it in audacity, I just used my ears.

May 24, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure of the technicalities, but from my ear, I'd have to say that Pompeii Am Gotterdammerung (an otherwise excellent song) by the Flaming Lips is the single hottest piece of music I've ever heard.

That song is so good it's not even funny. The bass playing alone gives me goosebumps.

May 24, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #11 of 21
Oh, and BTW, hottest mastered album:

Iggy & The Stooges - Raw Power (the 1997 remastered release)

End of thread.

That album is basically just a square wave form all the way through. It's crazy loud and crazy distorted, and for this album that sound fits like a charm.

May 24, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #12 of 21
Hottest (highest bitrate lossless song):
L'histoire du Soldat -> 3023 kbps, Apple Lossless

Coolest (lowest bitrate lossless song):
Leif Ove Andsnes - "Grieg: Stemninger Op.73, No.4 (Folketone)" -> 297 kbps, Apple Lossless

May 25, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #13 of 21
Huh. I didn't realize the FLAC bitrate could be used to judge compression. Makes sense when you think about it.

The award for "hottest" song goes to...

"Brainiac" - Chevelle @ 1130kbps
eek.gif

I think the album is pretty decent, if not good (digging the new sound), but it is compressed all to hell. Worse than their previous albums even.

As for the "coolest", I'll get back to you on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back