Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Nov 15, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #1,996 of 2,194
hi people new guy here
i have the x-fi platinum with the 5.2" bracket and i wanted to ask if someone modded this expansion "slot" too with other opamps? because i connected my dac thru the optical out on the bracket and i read that the sound doesnt change when you mod the card but connect the dac on the expansion slot..
any opinions?

regards D.

Nov 15, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #1,997 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by DL84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi people new guy here
i have the x-fi platinum with the 5.2" bracket and i wanted to ask if someone modded this expansion "slot" too with other opamps? because i connected my dac thru the optical out on the bracket and i read that the sound doesnt change when you mod the card but connect the dac on the expansion slot..
any opinions?

regards D.

swapping the opamps wont effect the quality of the optical out. swapping the power filter capacitor and or using ERS paper should make a difference to the optical (digital) quality anyway.

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #1,999 of 2,194
Hi guys,

Been longing to do this mod since may...what a fail. I've shorted C63 on my elite pro because I though it was a decoupling cap :smack:

Does anyone now what kind of a cap should I put into there best ? Sound's not working by the way on any channel on analogue, can't try optical.

I've stole this pic from bichi since I don't have a good camera to take a photo of mine, It shows what's shorted on mine:

Please somebody help and let me know of a good, acquirable in the UK cap to get.

Cheers
Sobi

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #2,000 of 2,194
Keeps double posting for some reason, my pc does, really sorry. Since I don't know how to delete posts, maybe a moderator could do something about them, this one included.

Really sorry
Sobi one kenoby

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #2,001 of 2,194
Okay found out that it is a Kemet TANTalum 33uf @ 15vdc cap. Anybody knows something similar in the UK ?
biggrin.gif

Would appreciate any input
wink.gif

Cheers
Sobi

Nov 20, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #2,002 of 2,194
sobi123:
- stock capacitor is: Jamicon SS 47uf @ 16vdc; 85c (size: DxL; 5mm x 7mm) (board position: C63)
- the picture you posted shows modified components.
- some possible electrolytic (not tantalum) replacements:
Panasonic FC; PN: EEUFC1C470 (DxL; 5mm x 11mm) 3mm taller.
Nippon ChemiCon LXZ; PN: ELXZ160ESS470MEB5D (DxL; 5mm x 11.5mm) 3.5mm taller.

- take a look around MALPIN, UK based electronics shop:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=402

Nov 20, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #2,003 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by bichi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sobi123:
- stock capacitor is: Jamicon SS 47uf @ 16vdc; 85c (size: DxL; 5mm x 7mm)
- (board position: C63)
- some possible replacements:
Panasonic FC; PN: EEUFC1C470 (DxL; 5mm x 11mm) 3mm taller.
Nippon ChemiCon LXZ; PN: ELXZ160ESS470MEB5D (DxL; 5mm x 11.5mm) 3.5mm taller.

Can you tell me about that little filter board you made?

Nov 21, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #2,008 of 2,194
Posted this on other forums and thought to post it here, maybe i'll get an answer.

I posted some time ago that I modded my Xtreme Music.
One day I wanted to know how does it sound with the coupling caps shorted (I have Elna Silmic II) and I didn't like the sound because the highs were too "high". I reverted things back to normal and the sound remained the same.
After this I put only wire in place of the caps. Still, the sound remained the same. After this I found some 22uf/10v Rubycons (new) and I thought to put those on.
Anyway, I didn't like the sound with the Rubycons either so I put the Elnas back. And I had a surprise. The sound was very very distorsioned.
I went to a local gsm service and told the guys there to remove my op-amps (I have LME49860). They did so and they told me they also had re-soldered the coupling caps. When I arrived home the distorsion was gone, but I had no sound on the front channels.
I have some questions for the modding enthusiasts on this forum:
1. Is it normal not to have sound on front channels without opamps?
2. What do you think that could have gone wrong?
3. Is there any way to fix my card?
Only the analog output is affected, the digital works fine.

Nov 21, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #2,009 of 2,194
1) i'm not sure how the circuit in the x-fi is, but on my audigy 2, when the front opamp was removed, there was still sound, just very faint. it had not been amplified, though the fact that sound is present means the circuit was still complete somehow. on the x-fi, removing the opamp may leave the circuit open.
2) lots of things. you may have shorted something, overheated/fried something, there could have been bad solder joints, etc.
3) possibly. if there is no damage to the card, simply replacing the opamps may fix it.

only analog would be affected, the digital portion is a completely different circuit.

Nov 21, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #2,010 of 2,194
I tried replacing the opamps. But on the front I've put the one that was on the line in and the other channels are opamp-less. That's the way it is now and still the sound sucks.
Is there the possibility that all opamps were gone during the modding?
Should I use a new opamp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back