Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Apr 19, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #1,636 of 2,194
NumpXP - use smaller capacitor. This one cause your voltage regulator to shut down sometimes, hence the freezes.

Quote:

1. I'm using nichicon 2200uf 35V from radioshack and the soldering is not neat.

This is culprit. I use 1000uF Samxon GC from Big Pope: Capacitor database
For quick easy fix use Panny FM 470uF from Digi-key. If they had a 6.3V version, take it. I used once 16V version and fine.

Quote:

2. my opamp might have contacted feet or bad soldering

Your music will go mute sometimes/there will be distorted bases and so on, depends on heating up. NEVER OS freezes. Hence - not this case.

Quote:

3. my mobo pci slot - as i found small knocking such as plugin/unpluging a jack sometimes hangs my windows.

This is probably again related to the stuuuupid oversized cap. What a .... idea
redface.gif
And people still seems to copy that, lol
frown.gif

Apr 19, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #1,637 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by trodas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NumpXP - use smaller capacitor. This one cause your voltage regulator to shut down sometimes, hence the freezes.

This is culprit. I use 1000uF Samxon GC from Big Pope: Capacitor database
For quick easy fix use Panny FM 470uF from Digi-key. If they had a 6.3V version, take it. I used once 16V version and fine.

Your music will go mute sometimes/there will be distorted bases and so on, depends on heating up. NEVER OS freezes. Hence - not this case.

This is probably again related to the stuuuupid oversized cap. What a .... idea
redface.gif
And people still seems to copy that, lol
frown.gif

eh, i used a 3300µf 50v nichicon for a while with no problems.

Apr 19, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #1,638 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by eboy2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Caps are used for fine tune the sound. Recap is an ART work, not mechanical work.

Baaah!
- its ENGINEERING, which IS an art! LOL!

What are you doing now, going for physics degree and practicing electrostatic field theory?
- should meet up soon, have done additional SIMs and practicals, resulting in 150nf bypass for U7...
- also have been playing with AM Sandman effect/design for a low-level preamp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PianistOne111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried bypassing the opamps on the SB0460? I read that someone did that to the Meridian and noted good results while maintaining adequate output levels.

Most DAC's require a 2-pole, low-pass filter, (Butterworth, Bessel, etc.) to remove/reduce out-of-band noise, delta-sigma common-mode errors, interface differential DAC output to single output, set gain and provide impedance matching. These are the basic function(s) of the opamp(s) on the SB0460 and SB0550. (and many other soundcards) They also provide features like mute, where opamp's added drive and buffer function prevents excessive DAC output port loading.

Although I haven't personally tried it, it's not something I would consider, unless the driven device, (amplifier) input characteristics are intimately known. Same applies to headphones, due to their wide impedances and response, depending on make/model.

REFs:
Analog-to-Digital Signal Conversion Intro Basics:
http://cobweb.ecn.purdue.edu/~dsml/e...to_Digital.pdf

Cirrus Logic AN048 App Note: "Design Notes for 2-pole Filter with Differential Input"
http://apex.cirrus.com/en/pubs/appNote/AN048Rev2.pdf

Cirrus Logic CS4382 Datasheet:
page 27, section 5.4, Analog Output Filtering
page 38, Figure 42, Recommended Output Filter
http://apex.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDa...S4382A_PP2.pdf

Cirrus Logic CS4382 Evaluation Board:
page 4, Analog Output Filter
page 12, Figure 8
http://apex.cirrus.com/en/pubs/rdDat...B4382A_DB2.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"...Where can I buy a DIP8 to SO8 adapter like this?..."

Judging from post history, eboy2003 and I are the only ones who have installed SO8 sockets on X-FI's.
- showed him a few months ago, how to do it and with which parts.
- lucky for us, local surplus supply house (cheap) had the correct parts, requiring cutting, bending, etc.
- ask him on difficulty of part modification, ease of installation and versitility.
- requires good to excellent soldering and mechanical skills.

Pictures, Manufacturer/Digikey PN's, of socket mod:
X-FI-MOD-032b - eSnips, share anything
X-FI-MOD-033d - eSnips, share anything
X-FI-MOD-116-U7-C60C62 - eSnips, share anything

This Brown Dog DIP to SO8 would work, assuming:
- SO8 socket(s) installed on SB0460, SB0550 or opamp position(s).
- "tallness" of the adapter will not interfere with adjacent PC card.
DIP8 to SO8 Adapter (p/n 031101B) - 031101B

Apr 20, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #1,640 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashy79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi... anyone here using 25V cap for the main power filtering? or can confirm it will be ok?

As long as the voltage is higher it should be OK. The minimum is AFAIK is around 1.XXV, since I sees someone uses 2.5V

Apr 20, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #1,641 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocalypsee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as the voltage is higher it should be OK. The minimum is AFAIK is around 1.XXV, since I sees someone uses 2.5V

wokeh thx for ya input

Apr 21, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #1,643 of 2,194
whoa i just got back into the community and i don't have time to read all 165 pages, but if anyone has new ideas on modding this soundcard (or modding soundcards in general) let me know (PM me) so that I can update the guide. i do have some quite radical ideas on modding this card but haven't got the chance to try them yet.

Apr 21, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #1,644 of 2,194
which do you guys think would sound better: an x-fi xtreme music with lm4562 opamps, no decoupling caps, and a panny fm filter cap or an audigy 2 zs with lm4562 opamps and a panny fm filter cap? my next door neighbor just bought a new sound card and handed me his x-fi that i hotrodded for him...

Apr 22, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #1,645 of 2,194
i'm gonna build an aliendac for my laptop. Is it better than hotrodded xfi? I really like how my xfi sounds right now. so if aliendac can perform the same, it would be a great motivation for me to build one. anyone had listen to both?

Apr 22, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #1,646 of 2,194
I might buy an X-Fi XtremeMusic soon, but I want some advice on modding, this is what I plan:

1) Bypass 4 decoupling caps
2) Use 1000uF 6.3V Rubycon MBZ on the DSP power caps (or should I use higher ESR caps? Like KZG caps found on motherboard PWM?)
3) Use LME49720 opamp (but I want to try no opamp first)
4) Use 680uF 6.3V Sanyo OS-CON on opamp +5VDC and -5VDC

Is what I plan is good? Or is there anything else I should do to improve playback?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random Murderer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which do you guys think would sound better: an x-fi xtreme music with lm4562 opamps, no decoupling caps, and a panny fm filter cap or an audigy 2 zs with lm4562 opamps and a panny fm filter cap? my next door neighbor just bought a new sound card and handed me his x-fi that i hotrodded for him...

I think X-Fi might sounds better because of the resampling issue on Audigy

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #1,647 of 2,194
Quote:

I might buy an X-Fi XtremeMusic soon, but I want some advice on modding, this is what I plan:

1) Bypass 4 decoupling caps
2) Use 1000uF 6.3V Rubycon MBZ on the DSP power caps (or should I use higher ESR caps? Like KZG caps found on motherboard PWM?)
3) Use LME49720 opamp (but I want to try no opamp first)
4) Use 680uF 6.3V Sanyo OS-CON on opamp +5VDC and -5VDC

Is what I plan is good? Or is there anything else I should do to improve playback?

you could always do a complete recap.

Quote:

I think X-Fi might sounds better because of the resampling issue on Audigy

my audigy 2 has never had any problems...

Apr 24, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #1,648 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Random Murderer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you could always do a complete recap.

my audigy 2 has never had any problems...

I don't think that would be beneficial financially to recap the whole cap. I'd better buy a better card then

All EMU10K1 and 10K2 (Live! and Audigy) have this issue, some people don't notice this. Try to resample to 48kHz (usng high quality resampler like SRC) and see whether you can hear any difference or not

Apr 27, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #1,650 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by tirza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hii.. my first post here..
biggrin.gif

Im interested to try this X-fi mod.. but I only have a laptop, so I wonder if the X-fi Xtreme Audio Notebook ( Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook - Xtreme Fidelity sound at home or on the go ) Can be modded?

Please enlighten me.. Thankss

maybe. you'll need to open it up and get some high res shots of the circuit card assembly on both sides for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back