Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Apr 9, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #1,621 of 2,194
Has anyone tried bypassing the opamps on the SB0460? I read that someone did that to the Meridian and noted good results while maintaining adequate output levels.

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #1,622 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by PianistOne111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried bypassing the opamps on the SB0460? I read that someone did that to the Meridian and noted good results while maintaining adequate output levels.

on the sb0460, you don't need to bypass them, just remove them. you'll still get sound, just a bit quiet for my taste, though it doesn't matter if you'll be using speakers with a built-in amp.

Apr 9, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #1,623 of 2,194
I did try this mod and failed at the first attempt, send it in for RMA about a week plus, got it back this morning, was a bit surprise cause i thought it would have been void, but i've done this before with many other products, void the warranty and still sending it in for RMA with successes.

Anyways if there's anyone who will to mod my Xfi Fatal1ty gamer for a fee, let me know, or on second thought i might just sell it here on Head-fi and upgrade to a Prelude.

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #1,624 of 2,194
After doing this mod successfully on the main channels of my X-Fi XtremeMusic I decided to replace the mic channel with the last of the two LM4562's I had bought.

I installed the opamp & tested it out but had poor sound. On closer inspection it looked like the contact points weren't soldered that good so I removed it. In removing it I think I may have put to much heat into the opamp because when I soldered it on for the second time the appearance of the solder job looked much better but I had no sound. I plan on buying a replacement when I can track one down.

Really my question is should I get sound with no opamp on the mic channel. Because I don't which didn't surprise me but after reading the comments on "bypassing the opamps" it got me thinking that maybe I should still get sound even without an opamp.

Just a little edit to my question - when I say "should I get sound" I mean on the main channel. Because I don't, I have no sound at all. My mate said because the circuit is broken it needs an opamp to complete that circuit.

I hope I haven't fried my card getting that opamp off.

Apr 12, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #1,626 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad_dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which capacitor is better, Nichicon vs. Sanyo?
I have the Nichicon 1500uF 10V, vs. Sanyo 1500uF 6.3V. There's no other marking to dictate the class of capacitor.

Nichicon.

Apr 15, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #1,627 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Random Murderer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nichicon.

I just got some more Nichicon capacitors. But these are 1000uF, 25V, but the temp is only up to 85C where the others one before are up to 105C. Which one is better? The 85C ones are almost twice as big in physical size than the 105C ones. I guess the higher voltage capacity is what dictates the size.

I don't want to keep changing the capacitors.

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #1,628 of 2,194
The question is
- for what the capacitor is used (I presume for C177 position)
- what type of Nichicon and what type of Sanyo you poses

105°C is desirable, 85°C aren't exactly meant for computers anyway. And any good capacitor is better that known bad one - Jamicon. What are the size of the caps in uF anyway?

Apr 18, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #1,630 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Where can I buy a DIP8 to SO8 adapter like this? I found one on Brown Dog but it's rather awkward.
Single-to-Dual Op-Amp Adapter - SO8 to SO8 version (p/n 031101A) - 031101A

If you're not [H]ard, you're SOL (those smt pads are fragile, ghetto rig a dip8, and you'll tear 'em off with one good whack), however if you're daring, just get ic dip sockets(instead of potentially destroying your dip8 op-amp), bend the legs to fit your so8 mount, and solder away! fleebay linky, I also got a boatload from hongkong for cheap...

btw, the link you provided is for adapting 2 single so8 op-amps for a dual so8 mount.

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #1,631 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by n00bler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw, the link you provided is for adapting 2 single so8 op-amps for a dual so8 mount.

the same board doubles as a dip8 dual opamp to so8 dual opamp converter.

Apr 19, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #1,634 of 2,194
i've stability problem with my hotrodded xfi. it makes my windows hang. I think there are 3 possibilities of the problem, sorted by what I really hope it to be:

1. I'm using nichicon 2200uf 35V from radioshack and the soldering is not neat.

2. my opamp might have contacted feet or bad soldering

3. my mobo pci slot - as i found small knocking such as plugin/unpluging a jack sometimes hangs my windows.

any advice/suggestion?

Apr 19, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #1,635 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by NumpXP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've stability problem with my hotrodded xfi. it makes my windows hang. I think there are 3 possibilities of the problem, sorted by what I really hope it to be:

1. I'm using nichicon 2200uf 35V from radioshack and the soldering is not neat.

2. my opamp might have contacted feet or bad soldering

3. my mobo pci slot - as i found small knocking such as plugin/unpluging a jack sometimes hangs my windows.

any advice/suggestion?

in order from most likely to least likely, my suggestions:
1) windows version (vista hates these cards)
2) mobo
3) core of card heating up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back