Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Jun 26, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #933 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the cap mod doesn't make that big of a difference, most of the difference is the opamp mod. polar caps are not supposed to change with burn-in, but bipolar caps do change with burn-in. that's according to my electronics book.

i think the cap mod was mostly for reliability / longevity than for a change in sound, although it does still change it a little iirc.

Jun 26, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #934 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirimaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is a very easy way to accelerate the burning-in for blackgate.
you just have to turn-off the pc, unplug it and turn it on and off for while.do it as many time as you can.
i was doing it this trick and i was amazed with results,the sound become more and more clearer,open and detailed.
how its works?acording to blackagte:it remove the previus residual electricity remaing in the cap and make the internal components react faster.

And doing this it is also very easy to mess up or damage your hard drives.

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #935 of 2,194
At output stage (after opamp) there are 2 transistors (caps and resistors too but they are for filtering) on signal path. Schematic is attached to this thread.
Anyway i was thinking how would card sound without those transistors? When i was checking the card i noticed that after 33ohm resistor the wire goes directly to this "socket" near "aux in". so basically it can be tried without soldering. Can anyone try it and share the results? I would do it myself but i had a little accident with my leg here and i cant move for some time.

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #936 of 2,194
guys if you dont hear any sonic diference with the cap mod,it couldbe that your
headphones,audio systems arent good enough,or the problem is your "ears".
i notice nice improvement in the sound,the sound warmth,cristal clear and detailed,deep bass.there are more things that i cant say with words.

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #937 of 2,194
ive had a little more time with just shorting caps and blackgate replacement. havent done the op-amp change yet. i have really noticed more seperation and clarity in the soundfield. with my akg 701s, after mod many more of the "what was that sound?" further out of the soundstage experiences. also i am running xfi out to govibe 5 with 8610/20 and before xfi mod if i cranked volume up 100% there was distortion in low bass response so i left vol at 90%percent and it cleared up. now after mod running at 100%, no distortion. i cant wait to change op amp. probably get around to that in next couple of days.

Jun 26, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #938 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And doing this it is also very easy to mess up or damage your hard drives.

Yeah seriously, switching the device off and on a few hundred times in a row may not be much of a problem in a cd player or something along those lines but you really don't want to do that with your computer.

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #939 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I havent visited this thread in a while, did someone come to the conclusion that ad8599 is better than the LM4562, if so I might have to mod it again..

Some have said to prefer the AD8599 over LM4562 yeah. I have them both installed (see pic in my sig) and can use both as stereo out. I like them both, if it's worth removing the 4562 i don't know, theyre quite different from eachother but both are excellent. 8599 has a more transparant feel to it.

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #940 of 2,194
This is the reason I suggested people install sockets. This way they can use whatever the want. Opamps are extremely subjective. Some say they can hear no difference at all. I personally can and like trying out different ones to get a sound I like. I am using the X-Meridian though so I have sockets.
Each time you remove and install another you are further damaging the board and the traces. I really suggest figuring out a way to install Dip sockets.

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #941 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the reason I suggested people install sockets. This way they can use whatever the want. Opamps are extremely subjective. Some say they can hear no difference at all. I personally can and like trying out different ones to get a sound I like. I am using the X-Meridian though so I have sockets.
Each time you remove and install another you are further damaging the board and the traces. I really suggest figuring out a way to install Dip sockets.

Unfortunately there is no way to install those sockets. Even if you somehow manage to solder that dip socket in place it simply wouldn't stay there as strong as it should. And when you would attempt to change op amp you would simply break it.

Jun 28, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #942 of 2,194
How about making a small board with a dip-socket and then 8 wires from the board to the traces of the soundcard?

Jun 29, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #943 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about making a small board with a dip-socket and then 8 wires from the board to the traces of the soundcard?

Then you risk damage to the traces
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #944 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirimaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guys if you dont hear any sonic diference with the cap mod,it couldbe that your
headphones,audio systems arent good enough,or the problem is your "ears".
i notice nice improvement in the sound,the sound warmth,cristal clear and detailed,deep bass.there are more things that i cant say with words.

yes i did.. previously i was useing cap bypass... but recently i removed the bypass and changed the 4 caps to blackgate nx high q... maybe it is due to lack of burn in(still under 20hrs as i dun have time to keep it running)... i missed the sound bypass gave me.. clearer.. micro details are damn good..

ad8599 do sound better then lm4562(at least when unamp)

Jun 29, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #945 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by PPkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes i did.. previously i was useing cap bypass... but recently i removed the bypass and changed the 4 caps to blackgate nx high q... maybe it is due to lack of burn in(still under 20hrs as i dun have time to keep it running)... i missed the sound bypass gave me.. clearer.. micro details are damn good..

ad8599 do sound better then lm4562(at least when unamp)

i am also using bg nx hiq caps,it will sound a bit muddy and less detailed in begining,but after 200hrs of burning-in you will hear the sound with more body,better detailed instruments separation,resolution and more bass in lower frequencies
3000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back