Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Mar 22, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #182 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichyRich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One way to insert the cap, if you cant remove all the solder is remove as much solder as you can,this should give you enough to insert the cap partly in the holes.Then heat the solder and push through at the same time,then same for other leg.

With opamp you need snips,then cut legs off and remove remainder with solder braid.

yeah, my problem is that my soldering iron was not powerful enough, so it was never able to heat up the solder and legs for the capacitor to pass through
blink.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #183 of 2,194
I bought a 25W solder on the internet yesterday... too late to change now. Hope it's enough. Problem is that the higher powered ones looked a lot bigger, and not suitable for soldering the tiny legs of a SOIC opamp.

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #188 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to order more samples than 3?

yes, from digikey. otherwise you have to order 97 of them!

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #189 of 2,194
Mar 23, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #190 of 2,194
That ERS Paper, should it be adhesive or non-adhesive? I'm guessing Adhesive O_o.

Also I'm considering using the 2200uF Kyyu caps I found in the old Antec PSU I have, should I? One of them has brown crap on top... Weird since it worked the powersupply.

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #191 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReTiCuLe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also I'm considering using the 2200uF Kyyu caps I found in the old Antec PSU I have, should I?

It's not just the size of the caps, but also the quality right? So I would stick to Blackgate, Audionote, Nichicon.

Mar 23, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #192 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my opamps today. I wanted to try replacing one on my audigy 2zs before I messed with my X-Fi, but i'm not sure which chip it is. I circled the one in this picture that I think is right:

I am also curious about the Audigy 2 ZS, let me know if you find anything out
cool.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #193 of 2,194
Alot of guys are using these LM4562's on soundcards latley they sound amazing. Do you guys find the ERS paper helpful? I understand it should work rather well seeing how "Noisy" the inside of a PC case is electrically speaking.

Mar 23, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #195 of 2,194
I was going to do this mod on the XtremeGamer, but ran into some problems. From what I can see, the original op-amps in the Xgamer has its "pins" on the wrong side of the amp, so some bridge or something has to be done to get the new amp in place. Check the photo of it:

Anyone got any advice on how to proceed? Is using small bits of iron wire a good thing? First solder the wire to the xgamer and then solder the new amp to the wires?

EDIT: It might be possible to just bend the pins a little on the new amp to get it in place.

EDIT2: I have made another photo where both op-amps are beside each other to compare sizes. The new amp the the right of the old amp. The new amp is not soldered yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back