Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Mar 21, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #166 of 2,194
I was bored and had some old PSU's and a PS2 powersupply around and here's what I found.

I found a fuhjyyu 2200uF 16v Capacitor two of them in my Antec PSU, that was in working condition till I tore it apart
redface.gif

I also found in my PS2 a 1100uF 16v Capacitor that looks clean, forgot the name, its black. Also I have the PS2 Shield that covers the motherboard, I wonder if I can cut it up and fit it to the X-Fi like ERS paper?

How's those Fuhjyyur for capacitors? Think that will do ?
http://www.fuhjyyu.com.tw/

P.S. Wouldn't adheasive ERS Tape be better than using a whole sheet to cover the card?

Mar 21, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #167 of 2,194
from what i understand, the ERS stuff is conductive. so unless a) the ERS tape is non-conductive? or b) i'm not thinking what you're thinking, it wouldn't really make a difference since you'd need to have something in between anyways.

Mar 21, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #169 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by ]|[ GorE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont think the ERS paper helps in any way because i had made a THICK aluminium faraday cage for the card leading to no improvement subjectively/objectively.

it depends what video card you're using. my video card emits nasty RFI so for me there is a difference. also, i think aluminum is the wrong shielding material. isn't iron is what should be used?

Mar 22, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #170 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So do you line up the + on the blackgate to the white semi-circle on the X-Fi's PCB, or the unfilled semi-circle? Sorry, I'm not an electrical engineer...
frown.gif

Bump on this bit... anyone?

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #172 of 2,194
one question, how exactly do you desolder the god dame capacitor.

I just try to do so today with a radio shack 25 w pencil

the result was bad, I was never able to remove one small piece of wire that is stuck in the small solder hold. Also, I can't clean the solder efficiently enough for the other leg to go through...

I ended up soldering the top portion of the card to hold the capacitor in place. but is not very a strong bond in my opinion.

Yes, I use desolder braid and everything... but just can't heat up the solder efficient enough. Seems like the whole card was action as a very efficient head sink. (the heat sink on the processor actually warm up when I solder.

my soldering iron actually cool down so much until a point that it was actually stuck on the card.

Also, the soldering head actually start to deform after two hour of usage...... i am pretty sure that I didn't apply too much force to it.... but the solder head just slowly changing in size and shape

anyway...... just wanted to ask you guys. do you guys think soldering the capacitor on the top of the circuit board is safe or not?

also.... anyone know what was my problem for my soldering process..

(i took a robotic class in a community college before) I have being soldering for like ..... 8 weeks, 3 hours every week. but i never notice any kind of deformation on the soldering iron.... so .. is this just caused by a bad soldering iron/ soldering tip.. or what?

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #173 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by DSlayerZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one question, how exactly do you desolder the god dame capacitor.

I just try to do so today with a radio shack 25 w pencil

the result was bad, I was never able to remove one small piece of wire that is stuck in the small solder hold. Also, I can't clean the solder efficiently enough for the other leg to go through...

I ended up soldering the top portion of the card to hold the capacitor in place. but is not very a strong bond in my opinion.

Yes, I use desolder braid and everything... but just can't heat up the solder efficient enough. Seems like the whole card was action as a very efficient head sink. (the heat sink on the processor actually warm up when I solder.

my soldering iron actually cool down so much until a point that it was actually stuck on the card.

Also, the soldering head actually start to deform after two hour of usage...... i am pretty sure that I didn't apply too much force to it.... but the solder head just slowly changing in size and shape

anyway...... just wanted to ask you guys. do you guys think soldering the capacitor on the top of the circuit board is safe or not?

also.... anyone know what was my problem for my soldering process..

(i took a robotic class in a community college before) I have being soldering for like ..... 8 weeks, 3 hours every week. but i never notice any kind of deformation on the soldering iron.... so .. is this just caused by a bad soldering iron/ soldering tip.. or what?

25W solder pencil? I don't think that is enough since the whole board is a big copper heatsink. I used a 50W solder iron and the whole operation of desoldering and soldering on the Blackgate took only about a minute. You might want to add some solder to transfer the heat better, and soak up the solder afterwards. you can borrow my soldering station if you want.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #174 of 2,194
alright, thank you for your concern

so far, the sound card is working wonderful.

just hope this will last long. but anyway.

I did finish the mod, even though it looks a bit ugly, but who cares.. if covered in ers paper
k1000smile.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #175 of 2,194
Anyone have any blackgates or ERS paper, seems to be harder to find for me. (paypal and in NY).

I got the elite pro here and the gates, going to mod it all at once. Ill give some pictures for lost people like me that had to read this whole thread 3 times to understand.
3000smile.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #176 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have any blackgates or ERS paper, seems to be harder to find for me. (paypal and in NY).

I got the elite pro here and the gates, going to mod it all at once. Ill give some pictures for lost people like me that had to read this whole thread 3 times to understand.
3000smile.gif

I'm prob going to order in a week or so and I also live in NY if you need me to order 4 u 2

Mar 22, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #177 of 2,194
I received my opamps today. I wanted to try replacing one on my audigy 2zs before I messed with my X-Fi, but i'm not sure which chip it is. I circled the one in this picture that I think is right:

Could someone confirm this for me?

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #179 of 2,194
One way to insert the cap, if you cant remove all the solder is remove as much solder as you can,this should give you enough to insert the cap partly in the holes.Then heat the solder and push through at the same time,then same for other leg.

With opamp you need snips,then cut legs off and remove remainder with solder braid.

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #180 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichyRich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you look at the photo on the first page of this thread it should go in like that,black side facing outwards.Hope this helps.

Thanks RichyRich!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back