Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Mar 19, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #107 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soymilk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
quick question:

is this one hotrod-able? it's the xtremegamer.

http://www.buy.com/prod/creative-lab...203138686.html

just want to make sure before i get one and figure out it's one of the new low-end x-fi's that are basically the high end audigy 2's.

From the looks of it, I believe that they are the same. the only difference is that

the extreme gamer does not have a connection to the front panel

that's probably where the reduction of price came from

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #108 of 2,194
Just finished the mod.I just changed opamp and cap to blackgate for now.Might try other mods later on.

No pops or crackles on start up.

Initial first,short listen as haven't got time at the mo but sounds like much more zip and sparkle to the music, tighter bass and bigger sound stage.Will do some more listening later when have some more time time but I'm no golden ear mind.

Well worth doing.

Thanks!! cotdt its much appreciated.

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #109 of 2,194
just for those wanting samples... $20 postage to the UK! so im gonna pic up the opamp in the UK, it will be far cheaper!

I will also replace the caps you are on about, i would rather play safe. Hope to have this mod done in 2 weeks or so, part dependant of course

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #110 of 2,194
any more opinions? the xtremegamer in question is a smaller card than the xtrememusic; it's the size of the xtremeaudio. does anyone know for sure if it has the x-fi audio processor or not? i don't think that the lack of a connector to the front panel is enough for that much of a size difference for the pcb
confused.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #111 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soymilk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any more opinions? the xtremegamer in question is a smaller card than the xtrememusic; it's the size of the xtremeaudio. does anyone know for sure if it has the x-fi audio processor or not? i don't think that the lack of a connector to the front panel is enough for that much of a size difference for the pcb
confused.gif

lol... no, it doesn't have the x-fi processor... but it's got the x-fi name!

yes, it has an x-fi sound processor. It's got all the critical parts of the x-fi cards including X-RAM

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #112 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichyRich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just finished the mod.I just changed opamp and cap to blackgate for now.Might try other mods later on.

No pops or crackles on start up.

Initial first,short listen as haven't got time at the mo but sounds like much more zip and sparkle to the music, tighter bass and bigger sound stage.Will do some more listening later when have some more time time but I'm no golden ear mind.

Well worth doing.

Thanks!! cotdt its much appreciated.

Congrats! You are a brave man and now your name goes in the hall of fame! Enjoy your unique sound card.

Mar 19, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #113 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by ]|[ GorE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those capacitors dont block DC ! They are connected to the +5 and -5V lines and are meant as current reservoirs. The reason there are 4 for each opamp is to keep the capacitors impedance low . I would add a higher valued cap in parallel to the existing caps,not short them.

And,instead of doing such a hokey mod,i would look up the datasheets of the dac and add the capacitors Creative has left out.

I put a DVM on these caps and I am reading 2.45 volts DC. It seems best not to short them, right?

- Rich

Mar 19, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #114 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol... no, it doesn't have the x-fi processor... but it's got the x-fi name!

yes, it has an x-fi sound processor. It's got all the critical parts of the x-fi cards including X-RAM

wait... what? are you poking at my question? cuz if you didn't know, the x-fi xtreme audio has the x-fi name, but doesn't actually have the x-fi processor. just wanted to check if the x-fi xtreme gamer had it or not too, since it can be had for pretty cheap right now.

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #116 of 2,194
OK- got my samples in from nat. semi

Swapped it in to my elite pro

OMG

A completely refined, organic sound. Nothing I've ever even heard before. Listened to some favorite recordings- heard things I never did before. Rachmaninoff piano concerto no. 2 with Van Cliburn and the CSO- WOW

i dont' think words can describe the difference really. All I can say is everyone go out and buy this card right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Sound...4346422&sr=8-1

$199 after rebate

I haven't heard this mod on the lower models, but this AKM dac is really shining now. That old JRC wasn't doing it justice.

And I haven't even gotten to the blackgates or ERS yet
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #118 of 2,194
If you could be so kind to spare a free sample, I'd be delighted. If not, can you possibly link me to the exact page to order the LM4562 SOIC Sample? I found a page, but it has slightly different product listed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back