Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
May 31, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #812 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my opamps today, just wondering if it's possible to desolder the opamps without any other tools but the iron itself

It is possible. I simply bent a needle and pushed it underneath the pins of the oamps. Then I placed a little more solder on the pins and they wrapped of, nearly, by themselves....

May 31, 2007 at 9:17 AM Post #814 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by phalanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can order the opamps straight from National Semiconductor's site (samples-you may or may not have to pay s&h).

ya i i tried them and they refused to ship to Egypt

May 31, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #815 of 2,194
terrorist! :p did you try with analog devices aswell? As others have mentioned some 3rd party retailers do carry the chip aswell, even though often a bit overpriced. Numerous sources for both capacitors and opamps have been mentioned throughout this thread. All it needs now is a little effort to find places that ship to your country of residence for a reasonable price.
I'm curious why National won't ship opamp samples to your country though.. But if they won't do it theres always Analog and Texas Instruments to try who both make great opamps aswell

May 31, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #816 of 2,194
Quote:

terrorist! :p did you try with analog devices aswell? As others have mentioned some 3rd party retailers do carry the chip aswell, even though often a bit overpriced. Numerous sources for both capacitors and opamps have been mentioned throughout this thread. All it needs now is a little effort to find places that ship to your country of residence for a reasonable price.
I'm curious why National won't ship opamp samples to your country though.. But if they won't do it theres always Analog and Texas Instruments to try who both make great opamps aswell

LOL

i did order 6 of AD8599ARZ from analog.com

and gonna search for a good enough cap here in Egypt next sunday

are those amp i got good enough or should i wait till i find a way for getting the LM ?

May 31, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #817 of 2,194
I can't wait to hear mine today, got someone to do the mod for me since he's very high skilled in soldering and I don't want to screw mine up. Gotta wait until the evening to get it back
frown.gif

May 31, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #818 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Safrout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL

i did order 6 of AD8599ARZ from analog.com

and gonna search for a good enough cap here in Egypt next sunday

are those amp i got good enough or should i wait till i find a way for getting the LM ?

The AD8599 is a great audio opamp just like the LM4562, I have tried them both and like the AD8599 atleast as much.

Jun 1, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #820 of 2,194
Quote:

The AD8599 is a great audio opamp just like the LM4562, I have tried them both and like the AD8599 atleast as much.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #821 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirimaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am going to try to put 2 pairs of blackgates nx for L canceling to see how its afects to the sound.

Just make sure you burn them in. the nonpolars can flip polarity as they burn in, becoming unstable.

Jun 1, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #822 of 2,194
I just got my X-Fi back. The new opamps are incredible, so much better than the original opamps in every way and heck it hasn't even burned in yet
biggrin.gif

IMG_2645.jpg

Do changing the opamp for the subwoofer make a big difference?

Jun 1, 2007 at 12:00 PM Post #824 of 2,194
Hi guys, new here.

Just tried doing the mod and came with a big problem.
frown.gif

Whilst removing the old opamp the 3rd copper rail came off with it!

Can I bridge a wire from the 3rd leg to the back of the board or somewhere else? I tried tracing the track on the back but couldn't find it.
Other then that great sound improvement, but no left channel

Jun 1, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #825 of 2,194
Heh yours is nothing... I tried to do the mod for the opamp and SIX out of eight coper rails came off. I destroyed my card. Just an advice to anyone that wants to do the mod... The board is so fragile that can be VERY easily destroyed. Just a warning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back