Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
May 19, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #2,086 of 2,194

Quote:
I'm interested in modding a creative x-fi surround 5.1 USB version, can I use the same opamps , capacitors and such than the ones cited in this thread or they won't work with this model?. Also , does anyone know which DAC this card has? I 've got a photo of the board but there are two DACs: CS5355 and CS4361. Are these any good to attemp a mod?

Next time search the forum before asking. Here's one mod http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/445503/cretative-x-fi-surround-5-1-modded-for-audiophile-usb-audio

May 19, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #2,087 of 2,194
Certainly I've read the thread you cite and indeed after reading it I became interested in modding a SB surround 5.1 USB, BUT that mod uses a different  opamp : OPA2365. LM4562 seems better, isn't it? . As for the DAC used, question solved. For some reason I thought D/A and A/D were integrated in the same chip, but it was a wrong assumption. CS5345 is A/D and CS4361 operates D/A conversion. I wonder if the DAC can be swapped  by a better one too.

May 19, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #2,088 of 2,194

Quote:
Certainly I've read the thread you cite and indeed after reading it I became interested in modding a SB surround 5.1 USB, BUT that mod uses a different  opamp : OPA2365. LM4562 seems better, isn't it? . As for the DAC used, question solved. For some reason I thought D/A and A/D were integrated in the same chip, but it was a wrong assumption. CS5345 is A/D and CS4361 operates D/A conversion. I wonder if the DAC can be swapped  by a better one too.

Oh I see. Well, the DAC is quite unique, with a single 5V supply, I don't think you could swap it though. But it wasnt that bad, try to Google the name of the DAC, you'll surprised

EDIT: Don't use National opamp, it needs rail-to-rail, or something. Check out my post at opamp thread in DIY subforum

May 20, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #2,090 of 2,194

Quote:
I am trying to get the THD down to 0.0015% from 0.0026%. It might be impossible to do that anymore now that I cannot resolder my adapter. I got .0001% Improvement from putting AD8599 in place and I changed some capacitors.
http://i41.tinypic.com/sg7o9e.jpg

I wouldn't let the THD values get you down.  There are many devices that have higher THD ratings but still sound great.  These devices would easily surpass devices with lower THD values also.  It is up to you but I wouldn't worry aslong as it sounds the way you want.

May 22, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #2,091 of 2,194
Those THD values are still ******* small.

Aug 18, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #2,095 of 2,194
guys, i have elite pro & cavalli kan kumisa III 
so the question is - where i can get a pure line out on it?
i want connect cumisa directly to sound card without amp.
someone know? 
where i can solder my wire on sound card to get a pure line out?

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #2,096 of 2,194
I just wanted to thank everyone, basically i've never soldered in my life but i am big on music and after reading this thread and using everyones advice i modded my x fi music card , the first attempt was a failer, trying to take off the coupling caps i overheated the board and a lil trace popped up and that was the end of that, since realizing i didnt have to take them out to short them i bought a new card i still took off the caps but just cut the legs down and soldered wire on the back of the board, yay, the power cap i had trouble with, so i used a 1mm drill bit on it and installed a 2200uf 16v panasonic FC, then today i received my opamp the from canada and completed the mod, WOW what a difference, on rock type stuff its ok but when you play electronic music with lots of different basses and detail its out of this world, so thats what decent music sounds like.....thanks CODT and CO
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="1" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="1" />

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #2,097 of 2,194
has anyone been able to compare a hotrodded x-fi with the auzentech prelude? i'm looking into getting a sound card (current source = motherboard -_-) and debating if i should get an x-fi (elite pro?) and hotrod it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back