Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Oct 19, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #1,876 of 2,194
OK , but this model of XFi had 4 IC with 5 jack's ( see pic ).
The XFi normal ( on PCI ) had 3 IC for front / cent+ sub / surround and 1 IC for mic input ( and 4 jack's ).
At this model ( PCI-E ) who is who ?

Oct 19, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #1,877 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by um2802 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK , but this model of XFi had 4 IC with 5 jack's ( see pic ).
The XFi normal ( on PCI ) had 3 IC for front / cent+ sub / surround and 1 IC for mic input ( and 4 jack's ).
At this model ( PCI-E ) who is who ?

I don't own PCI-E version but from the pic of yours seems the output op-amp is in the line because in front of them there's muting transistor (the little tiny ic) , front is the top one, then 2 surround, center/sub is bellow. You can always trace them with multi-tester and FYI all X-FI has 4 output op-amp no matter their version are...

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #1,878 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by um2802 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The subject : Xfi Titanium Fatality Professional PCI-Express.
What can change on it ?
Sugestion, advice, tips & tricks .....
Thank you.

It looks more or less like the same thing as the PCI version... so the guide to mod this PCI-E version would be more or less the same.

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #1,879 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody know what is the mapping of the second Opamp(just below of L-R one), what channels does it control.
While removing the old opamp, I removed the solder pad underneath one of the pins. Now, one of the pins of the new opamp, remains without contact. Is there a way to save my xFi?

Yes it is very easy to fix if you have a multimeter and trace it. All the pins go to either some SMD resistor or capacitor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm probably going to finally mod my X-Fi. Are the instructions laid out in the first post still considered the best mods to do, or has that evolved in the past 185 pages?

I'm in the process of updating it right now with some additional mods. They weren't the "best" mods even back when i wrote it, but short of anything really extreme (high-slew-rate opamps, discrete output, "stacking", etc.) I would still recommend them.

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #1,880 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lokonsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I put wrong cap in X-Fi (1000uF 6.3v nichicon FG) in c74 (12 V) and strangely enough i can play movies and songs fine!!!! It's really 12 v or do i miss something?

5V caps are enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #1,881 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by trodas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Side-effects.
As everything in life, there is a price for this. Not only this is NOT easy mod (do NOT try that, unless you are soldering MASTER, and I'm not kidding) but it also has consequences. Not only you want to delete all, even the 320kBi mp3 files now, but upon the driver loading in windows boot, there is notable click in the speakers. Same when changing audio mode. Not louder that the amp is set for, so a minor price for such wonderfull, rich sound.
There is a bigger price and I was quick to discover it.
I remember it well from measuring the voltages on the caps on X-Fi. When I touch the opamps, well, then the X-Fi started to oscilate like MAD and the resulting sound noise, even on small testing speakers, are unbearable.
So, to get to it - I plug my rear speakers into the SUB/CENTER jack, so upon discovering that, I was like fixing this. So I unplug the jack... and the moment it started. The X-Fi, no longer protected with these muting transistors, start oscilating like mad. From all 6 speakers it output SO horrible noise and SO strong, that it was like when F18 is about to land on your head.
I can't remember anything comparable in my life.
My stepbro run to my room asking What... so you get the picture.
The oscilating noise, when you change your speakers, does not stop till reboot.

Were you using the AD8599? Those are not as stable as the LM4562, and can oscillate very easily.

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #1,883 of 2,194
i doubt it. active speakers such as those have a built in amplifier and you'll see a bigger improvement(albeit still not enough to bother with) from modding the speakers' amp.

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #1,885 of 2,194
Hi, I want to mod my audigy 4 oem, audigy2 and zs cards. Please help me choose the capacitors to change. I don't intend on changing the op-amps, just some capacitors to make these more stable and such... So I've seen advice on audigy se too, that's why I'm asking.

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #1,886 of 2,194
try panasonic FM series caps.

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #1,888 of 2,194
i would guess packaging, as in the latter 2 come in reels to be placed in manufacturing machines.

Nov 29, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #1,889 of 2,194
****..... Guys.. I think i really screwed up my xfi xtrememusic card.

While trying to remove the original opamp for L/R channel I accidentally scraped off the two of the eight contacts on the circuit board.. Now there are only 6 contacts for the 8 pins of the opamp. (Now sound only plays on the left channel)

Is there any way to remedy this or is my soundcard doomed to oblivion? This really sucks, i bought the soundcard when it was way expensive
frown.gif

A solution i can think of is to modify the drivers to route all L/R signals to another jack so that i dont have to use the L/R jack. Then I can replace another channel's opamp.

HELP GUYS!!!! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back