Hot Audio DAC Straight - 48% off worth it?
Jun 13, 2009 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TLY

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if anyone has noticed that the Hot Audio, DAC STRAIGHT is on sale for 48% off right now. Its going for $129 from $249. Now, I'm not advertising it or anything, I don't really know much about DACs and I'm actually considering buying this DAC, if it actually does stand up well against other standalone DACs that are $250. My budget for a DAC is about $150 so if I could get a $250 DAC for $129 that would be one heck of a deal.

Here are the specs on it if anyone wants to compare...

· Powered Directly from your PCs, Laptop, or MACs USB Port
· Solid Metal Enclosure with soft plastic end caps.
· Minimum Load Impedance = 5 K Ohms
· DAC Output Impedance = 5.6 K Ohms
· THD+N @ VOUT = 0dB 0.002%
· Dynamic Range 100 dB
· Signal to Noise Ratio 105 dB
· Channel Separation 103 dB
· Maximum Voltage Output Swing = 3.1 Volts Peak to Peak ( Into 50 K Ohm Load )
· Self Installs - No drivers necessary
· Sampling Rate: 32, 44.1, 48 kHz
· Line Level RCA Left-Right Outputs on front
· Dimensions: 95mm by 55mm by 25mm
· Weight: Approximately 100 grams
· Extremely Low Jitter

and also here's the link to it...

DAC STRAIGHT [DAC STRAIGHT] - $129.00 : HotAudio.Com, Hand Made Audio Perfection!

I have no idea what these numbers mean so if anyone out there could help me out with it, it would be much appreciated.

And I don't know if size matters in a DAC, but the thing seems pretty small also, which is kinda throwing me off.

I asked Dave from Hot Audio himself and he told me that the DAC Straight, was his "most accurate and dynamic DAC period. "

So, if anyone out there who has experience with Hot Audio DACs or if they know a lot about DACs, can advise me whether it is a good DAC for the discounted price, that would be much appreciated.

Thank You All.

(Oh, and if I do decide to get this, I'll be pairing it up with a Little Dot Amp and my HD 595s.)

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 4
I have one of Hot Audios DACs. I can highly recommend them. The difference between using the DAC and not using it is huge. I don't know if it is the best DAC in this price range but you will be very happy with it.

Jun 13, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back