Horrific Ear Wax Story
Apr 8, 2008 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

audiomagnate

1000+ Head-Fier
My new new 716s sounded brighter in my right ear on every cut so I was a little pissed off that I would have to do a filter change after so little time. I kept pushing the triflexes deeper and deeper into my left ear, trying to find the detail.I even went so far as to hook them up to my main stereo, which has a mono option. Still less detail in the left ear. It was during this experiment that one of my kids came into the room. They always give me this look that says, "Daddy, can you take those thing out of your ears because I have something important to tell you."

I had to extract one IEM. I chose the left. Hanging on to the tip of my left triflex was a ONE INCH LONG YELLOW/BLACK GOOBIE OF INCREDIBLY DISGUSTING EAR WAX!!!!

Wow, could I hear better after that. The weird thing is, my doctor told me recently I have an amazing low amount of earwax.

The moral of the story is that IEM users may be pushing their ear wax deeper and deeper, so deep that your doc cant find it with his little flashlight.

And Mary just needed her Scoobie.

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 59
Your poor child! They're too young to see stuff like that
wink.gif

Anyway, you might have a point there. And besides pushing ear wax deep into your ears, ear buds are also good at doing something else: ruining your hearing. At least, that's what they've been telling us on Dutch TV over the last couple of months. Every now and then a news item pops up on how badly youngsters damage their ears by listening to their iPods. It's probably true, but although I regularly use my iPod, I don't have any trouble with my hearing abilities...

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seagull5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your poor child! They're too young to see stuff like that
wink.gif

Anyway, you might have a point there. And besides pushing ear wax deep into your ears, ear buds are also good at doing something else: ruining your hearing. At least, that's what they've been telling us on Dutch TV over the last couple of months. Every now and then a news item pops up on how badly youngsters damage their ears by listening to their iPods. It's probably true, but although I regularly use my iPod, I don't have any trouble with my hearing abilities...

There are many, many topics on the hearing loss issue, and the news stories are talking about kids that turn their earbuds (which are not the same as IEMs) really loud.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 59
Ear wax: that is disgusting. I have nightmares that I might be pushing something inside with my ety's, but they are the best "city" headphones I've ever heard. Lightweight, not obvious, and I don't have to listen to anyone's welfare of baby daddy stories on the metro if I don't want to.

However, I love it when I can hear someone's earbuds as they sit across the aisle on the bus. Obviously too loud.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 59
I hate the media..

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 59
It is a fact that when you put ear molds into your ears you increase your chances of compounding and compressing the earwax in your ears. This in turn will temporally effect your hearing. I have a deaf daughter who still uses one hearing aid (the other has an implant) and we have to periodically check her ears for earwax issues. We were able to pick up one of those tools, that the doctor uses to look into the ear, through some catalog that contains equipment for deaf people. Even if you do get the tool you will still need to talk someone into looking into your nasty ears for ya LOL.
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 59
Yeah, I pushed the earwax too deep when I had etys and I ended up with so much wax right up against the eardrum that I lost hearing in one ear, and it took more than one session to remove.

It seems like the newer universals can't really go as deep, and that's a good thing. My sensas don't go as deep, and I just use some remowax once a year and it's enough, no gobs of wax, but the ear does need some in there.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #9 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The moral of the story is that IEM users may be pushing their ear wax deeper and deeper, so deep that your doc cant find it with his little flashlight.

Trust me if you have earwax the doctor can see it. With that flashlight the doctor is clearly able to see your eardrum.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #11 of 59
Though rather disgusting it is a good lesson. I occasionally need my ears cleaned out. I've gotten to the point where sometimes I will hear a slight hum thinking it is the refrigerator or some distant sound from outside. But when I can't pinpoint the source then I know it usually is due to build up. My doctor said if you do clean your ears with a cotton swab, always do the perimeter. Don't shove the swab into your ear canal because you will then just compact the ear wax. Ever since employing this methodology, I've been pretty plug free. Another thing that can affect how you hear are allergies. Happens to me which is why I take allergy medicine with decongestant.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #12 of 59
I had a similar kind of wax issue. Not with IEMs though, but I tried to clean my ear and then a big lump got really deep. I lost entire hearing from that ear. Had to see doctor.

It's pretty painful to vacuum the ear drum
frown.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #14 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pics?

<_<

I was thinking of pics, but it freaked me out so much that I jumped and lost the sample.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back