Hornet with e500s
Dec 26, 2006 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

niftymatt

100+ Head-Fier
Well I received my e500s yesterday for Christmas, but I'm a little disappointed. Some songs sound excellent, while others sound muddy and without enough treble. Do you think I will adjust to the sound? If I buy the Hornet will it fix the treble problem and give it the treble it needs? I am also looking at the SR-71. Which one would fit my needs better?

Dec 26, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 21
amping the e500's will definitely make a big difference. The little digital amp on the zen is struggling to bring out the awesomeness with those IEMs.

Dec 26, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 21
I plugged my e500s into my laptop and they sound great. I'm talking about the motherboard sound card. Also games sound great as well. Rock still sounds muddy though so I'm pretty sure the Hornet will help tremendously. Anyone have this experience with the e500s and bought the Hornet?

Dec 26, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by niftymatt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So does the Hornet make a big difference and will my e500s sound like they don't have a cold anymore?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hornet fixes the E500 treble rolloff.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...=hornet+treble

wink.gif
icon10.gif

Dec 27, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Well I received my e500s yesterday for Christmas, but I'm a little disappointed. Some songs sound excellent, while others sound muddy and without enough treble. Do you think I will adjust to the sound? If I buy the Hornet will it fix the treble problem and give it the treble it needs? I am also looking at the SR-71. Which one would fit my needs better?

I own the SR-71 and would say if you want more treble, that is, clear sparkly highs, then look no further. This amp certainly brightens up the whole sound, making details very easy to pickup. The thing with this amp is that it creates such a black background, no noise/hiss/etc. so everything will come out very clear. You can read others' reviews on these by using the search function. Good luck!

Dec 27, 2006 at 10:39 AM Post #10 of 21
Couldn't comment on the SR-71. But I own the E500s, they were terrible before I got the Hornet, I had huge issues with the rolled off treble. Believe me (and many people out there), the Hornet is a gem with the E500s! I was a bit skeptical before I got it and I had huge expectations for them (with the money I spent), and they came out to be MORE than I ever expected. Did NOT regret a bit! You should look into getting an interconnect cable as well.

Dec 27, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmic castaway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
has anyone tried the E500 with portaphile maxxed v2^2? i heard the portaphile give IEM great soundstage..

Have my e500s hooked up to the PV2^2maxxed. Sounds great to me.
etysmile.gif

You should check out this thread if you want more info:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=214355

Dec 27, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #13 of 21
I'm getting a good interconnect from qables.com.

Has anyone tried comply tips with the e500s and have they given you better sound?

Dec 27, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

I'm getting a good interconnect from qables.com.

Has anyone tried comply tips with the e500s and have they given you better sound?

comply's are good, but i like the triple flanges with the top cut off(so they're a double flange). i also cut the stem a bit. easily slips in my ear and creates the best seal.

oh, and i agree with getting the hornet. a great amp that really brings out all the fantastic qualities of the e500's. plus, very small footprint makes it easy to bundle with an ipod and stick the whole package in your pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back