Hornet or Supermacro?
Jul 13, 2006 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Musicdiddy

100+ Head-Fier
Please forgive me if this has been covered previously but I'm a noobie,(I have searched). I am looking to upgrade my amp to something more hi-end to partner my Vision M & after reading the forums I am trying to decide between RS Hornet or Xin's Supermacro. I am swaying towards the Hornet but wondered if any members have been able to compare the two. I tend to favour a more detailed presentation of my music.
confused.gif

Jul 13, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 19
i'm also in the same situation where i want to get a decent portable amp for around $400... i'm leaning more towards the supermacro IV and the fact that you can change the opamp chips in there to get different sounds. that means you can play around with them until you find one opamp that will give you the sound you like vs. if you have the hornet, that's the only sound you'll get. and since opamps costs anywhere from free to $40, its like getting a nice amp whenever you change the chip.. also, the crossfeed feature on the supermacro is a nice feature to have, something the hornet doesn't.

Jul 13, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 19
You will get both responses in this forum and then other will provide input outside of your request. In other words they will add a 3rd, 4th, 5th,....brand/model of amps.

I have listened to both extensively. I choose the Supermacro, no comparison in my opinion. Specially the flexibility afforded by swapping amps.

Jul 13, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 19
The new 4-channel SuperMacro should be everyones choice.

Jul 14, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #9 of 19
Here are the products.

Here is the builder's forum, which is very helpful if you have any questions, etc. about his amps.

Jul 14, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #10 of 19
I recommend the Supermacro. The ability to change op-amps will keep your options more open in terms of finding synergy with the rest of your components. At least with DAPs, in my experience, this level of configurability has been helpful to achieving a satisfactory sound.

Jul 14, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #11 of 19
for my uses, portability was a big factor in choosing the Supermacro; much smller footprint than the Hornet to complement my Ipod 5g

Jul 14, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #12 of 19
Find out what you want from your amp, compare, choose. These two amps aim at different ends of the spectrum. Personally I opted for thge SM3V6, but I did not compare as I knew I would like Xins work & the amp has the features I need on the go.

Jul 14, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
You will get both responses in this forum and then other will provide input outside of your request. In other words they will add a 3rd, 4th, 5th,....brand/model of amps.

I have listened to both extensively. I choose the Supermacro, no comparison in my opinion. Specially the flexibility afforded by swapping amps.

Agree!
The tweak of SM4 is really the selling point.

Jul 14, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #14 of 19
Is changing the Opamps something the user can easily do, or does it requiring soldering, etc...so better to let the Dr. do it?

Jul 14, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #15 of 19
its just a matter of using tweezers to remove/install the opamp chips. the only soldering required is setting the buffers into high current mode. this is based on what i've read on xin's website. this link is pretty informative. check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back